2.5.0

Chapter Twenty-Two: Collision

"I'm the Bonnie to your Clyde. You're the moon and I'm the tide. I, I want this for all of my life, since the night that we got away."

~Love Will Tell Us Where To Go by Bridgit Mendler~

⭒⭒⭒

Revised: July 11, 2022

Warnings: abuse, domestic violence, sexual harassment/assault, language, violence, and other mature themes

⭒⭒⭒

Zion's POV

Flashback begin.

"Zion, wake up," I hear a voice say.

I open my eyes to see nurses rushing around in a panic. I hear voices talking over each other accompanied by electronic beeping. The person who woke me up was my mom, who is now on the other side of the hospital room. It's no surprise I fell asleep in the hospital chair again; I haven't been home in a week because I haven't wanted to leave my dad's side. 

"He's flatlining," I hear a nurse say through the commotion and it's then that the fear sets in. My worst nightmare is coming true. Please don't let what I think is happening be happening.

"Is the oxygen coming through?" another says as I stand up and walk towards the bed to see my dad for what is hopefully not the last time.

"She shouldn't be in here!" the doctor says when she sees me and a nurse grabs my arm, pushing me towards the door.

"No, he's my dad. I need to see him and be here with him," I say with a weak voice and the nurse shakes her head.

"You're too young; it isn't safe," she tells me. She doesn't know what's best for me. I'm sixteen years old, but everybody still insists on treating me like a child.

"You have to let me stay," I plead a little stronger this time, tears threatening as I try to push past for a glimpse of my dad.

"Trust us. We're doing what we can," she says and another nurse helps her push me through the doorway. "Just stay out here, honey." They're trying to help, but all they're doing is making this worse for me. 

I anxiously pace the hallway, tears streaming down my hot face in a panic. I can't lose him. He has to pull through. I don't know what I would do if I lost him; he's always been there for me. He's the only person who truly cares about me in this family ever since my grandparents passed. I can't lose him, too. He said I should plan for this day to come, especially because recently he's been in even more of a decline, but I never wanted to believe him. I never wanted it to be true.

"Zion?" I turn and see my mom come out of the room.

"How is he? Is he okay?" I rush over to her.

"It's not looking good. You should go home," she tells me.

"No. I didn't even want to leave his side. I'm not leaving the hospital," I protest.

"Drive yourself home and get some food on the way," she says. She looks back at the door to the room, not even focusing on me. She's worried about my dad and I get it, but she's also my mom and I need her to be strong and care about my feelings for just once.

"No. I want to be here. Mom, you have to let me stay," I tell her. My hands are shaking as I look at the woman who only seems to care about herself or my dad and it terrifies me. She never even seemed to want a child, but I know my dad did. He always wanted to do fun things with me and he was always, always there for me. It's cruel and unfair that he's the one in that room that I could lose.