0.5.0

Chapter Negative Five: Short and Sweet

"I'm running low on serotonin. Chemical imbalance got me twisting things. Stabilize with medicine, but there's no depth to these feelings."

~Serotonin by girl in red~

⭒⭒⭒

A/N: Sorry I disappeared from updating this book! I lost my notebook with important info and I couldn't update without it. Now, I've found it and hope you enjoy this chapter:)

Warnings: abuse, addiction, depressive thoughts (?), domestic violence, hospitals/medical things, homophobia, language, and other mature themes

⭒⭒⭒

Zion's POV

I wake up the next morning laying in an awkward position on a pillow in my bed. I look around and grab my phone, wondering what the hell happened here.

Slowly everything pieces together and I remember Robby was here; we fell asleep after we went back downstairs to watch a Patrick Swayze double feature of Ghost after Dirty Dancing. I stayed up latest, so I had to wake him because he was too heavy to carry. I tried to get him to stay in the bed with me, but he took the beanbag chair so we wouldn't be moving too fast.

I thought the point of a summer fling was to move fast, but what do I know?

I grab my phone and see no new notifications. I decide to get up and find Robby, so I put on a jacket since the house is relatively cold now and walk through the halls.

He isn't upstairs anywhere because I checked around a bit. Maybe he's downstairs?

I make it out to the kitchen downstairs. No Robby. Where is he?

"Hello?" I call out.

"You slept in."

I spin around to see not Robby, but instead my mom.

"Oh! Hi," I say nervously, wondering where the hell Robby is. Is he even here anymore?

"Surprised to see me?" my mom asks. "Who were you calling out to?"

"Um... you. I mean, I saw your car in the driveway," I cover.

"I parked in the garage," she says skeptically.

"Right... I heard you... when you came in a while ago," I say, hoping she'll buy it.

"Your dad is still in the hospital. I came for his grab-and-go bag for times like these," my mom says as she goes to the fridge and grabs some water.

"What's the update on him?" I ask worriedly.

"Well, Lion, it isn't good," she says and our eyes connect. I see now that she's been crying because her eyes are a bit puffy. "His body is... rejecting the chemo."

"What? Is that even a thing?" I ask.

"It's not the medical term, but basically, it's caused a bunch of problems for his body," she sighs.

"Mom, what does that mean?" I ask.

"It's not good," she repeats.

"Mom, I'm old enough to know this now. Please just tell me what is going on," I argue.

"Don't stress about it-"

"He's my dad! Of course I'm stressed! Of course I'm concerned and wondering what the hell is going on. When will you accept that I can handle the news? It's better than being in the dark all the time," I exclaim angrily.