1.3.0

Chapter Three: Halloween

"Traumas, they surround me. I wish you'd just love me back. Say you're here, but I don't feel it; give me peace, but then you steal it."

~Trauma by NF~

⭒⭒⭒

Revised: July 3, 2022

Warnings: abuse, domestic violence, sexual harassment/assault, language, violence, and other mature themes

⭒⭒⭒

Zion's POV

"Cyberbullying is no laughing matter," the counselor announces during lunch. Nobody is really paying attention to her. "Sending a cruel message to someone online can be just as hurtful as saying it to their face."

Kyler and his friends are goofing off, the popular girls are sitting together, and I'm with Eli, Demetri, and Miguel. I tap through stories on Instagram to see what my old friends are up to; staying in contact with them is hard. 

"I'm not gonna name names, but the other day a mother called me up because her son was crying after some kids online made fun of his facial deformity."

I glance over at Eli who looks around like a wounded puppy as people gossip about him around us. I stare at the woman in irritation. That negates the point of anonymity. He looks so upset that I reach over without thinking and touch Eli's hand lightly. He looks at me and I give him a look of support, putting him a little at ease.

"But today, our goal here is to make this school a safe space for all students."

As Eli cracks a small smile, Miguel speaks up, "You know, if you're sick of getting bullied, my karate dojo's looking for new recruits."

All I can remember is my mom's slap yesterday and how much makeup it took to cover up the bruise. I'd love to defend myself against her, but she's my mom.

"Yeah, right. You hear that, Eli? A little karate training and you're going to kick some major ass," Demetri mocks.

"He could," I say and Eli looks at me, hope twinkling in his eyes.

"I'm serious, Demetri. My sensei's the real deal. I'm sure I could get you all discounts," Miguel says.

"Discounts?" I whisper and he nods.

"As enticing as that sounds, I think I'd rather spend our afternoons playing Crucible Control than getting hit in the face," Demetri decides.

"One last thing. While we're all looking forward to the Halloween dance, let's make sure our costumes are culturally sensitive," the teacher says and continues to explain examples.

I hear laughter from behind me. As I turn to inconspicuously look at the boys, I see Walker looking at me from afar, tapping his friend on the shoulder. I try to keep calm as the teacher finishes speaking and the bell rings.

I stand up anxiously and a hand grabs mine. I look over and see Eli giving me a concerned stare to check that I'm all right.

I nod with a weak and fake smile as I whisper to him, "I'm all right."

"So... karate?" Miguel asks again.

"In your dreams, pal," Demetri shakes his head.

⭒⭒⭒

I'm walking out of math to meet up with Miguel, Eli, and Demetri when I almost run into somebody.

"Oh, sorry," I say, but the figure doesn't move as I try to get by.