4.6.0

Chapter Sixty-Four: Moxie

"'Don't you talk out of line. Don't go speaking out of your turn. Gotta listen to what the man says.' Time to make his stomach burn."

~Double Dare Ya by Bikini Kill~

⭒⭒⭒

Revised: May 23, 2023

A/N: To avoid spoilers, watch Moxie on Netflix before reading this chapter. I promise the movie is worthwhile.

Warnings: abuse, addiction, anxiety, biphobia/homophobia, depression, domestic violence, slight eating disorder, language, panic attacks, sexual harassment/assault/abuse, violence, and other mature themes

⭒⭒⭒

Zion's POV

"Welcome to Cobra Kai," I make my way through the crowd at the end of class and officially greet Piper.

"Thanks! I've been looking for a dojo, but Tory made it even simpler," Piper smiles.

I glance over at Tory with a small smile, but she's focused on her phone.

"So, you and Robby really are a thing? It's hard to tell what's true and what's not," she tries to make conversation.

"Yeah, yeah, he's great," I give a fond glance to where he trains Kenny.

"Well, I guess I should head out. I have to get to the gym before they close. I'll see you tomorrow," Piper goes to put on her shoes.

Robby and Kenny walk over to me and my boyfriend speaks up, "I was thinking we could do some post-workout milkshakes at the diner? And maybe bring Kenny along?"

"'Maybe?' You promised me," Kenny looks up at Robby playfully.

"Eh, like I said, 'Maybe,'" Robby smiles down at the boy and then looks back at me. "You in?"

"Actually, I have a group project to work on," I frown when I remember my responsibility. "I keep putting it off because of work or karate and I... I'm sorry."

Robby takes my hand, "Hey, it's okay. I just hope you aren't too busy for me later."

"Never," I pull him a little closer.

"Gross!" Kenny reminds us of his presence and pulls us apart with a laugh.

"What class are you-"

"Before you go," Sensei Silver emerges from the back room with Sensei Kreese and Tory and a couple others, "one last announcement."

We gather around and I see a paper in his hand that he looks down at. Sensei Kreese looks happy and I wonder what good news they have.

"The All Valley Tournament board has made some new rules for this year. There will be a point system, a skills competition, and two All Valley champions," Sensei Silver reads the paper.

I share a confused look with Robby, "Two champions?"

"There's a girls and a boys division," Sensei Silver explains. I stare in surprise as my heart sinks a little.

"Points will be rewarded to each dojo based on skills and fighters to crown the ultimate champion," Sensei Kreese adds.

"Wait, so the girls are fighting separate from the boys?" I ask as I glance at Tory, who also doesn't look too happy.

"Precisely," Sensei Silver smiles.

"What's the special skills thing?" Kyler speaks up.

Tory walks over to me as our senseis explain the technicalities.