2.2.0*

Chapter Sixteen: John Kreese

"If you ask me where I'm from, I say, 'You,' 'cause you feel like home. Ask me, 'Is this love?" I say, 'I feel it in my bones.'"

~FEELS LIKE HOME by Bea Miller and Jessie Reyez~

⭒⭒⭒

Revised: July 8, 2022

Warnings: abuse, domestic violence, sexual harassment/assault, language, violence, light smut, and other mature themes

⭒⭒⭒

Zion's POV

I wake up to the sound of my phone ringing, but it doesn't sound like my alarm. I pick up my phone groggily, only to see Robby is calling me.

I answer the phone, "Robby? What's wrong?"

"What do you do when your mom leaves for Mexico with some guy she just met and leaves you home alone?" he asks in a panic of frustration.

"Your mom did what?" I ask. I feel awfully for Robby. His mom has always been drunk and acted like this. It's a wonder I didn't reach out and bother him to ask advice about my mom. But now here he is, calling me for help and I don't know what to say.

"Sorry, I just woke up to this huge mess and I had to call somebody and you were the first person I could think of."

"It's okay, you don't have to apologize. I'm sure your mom will be back soon and for now, make the best out of being alone," I suggest.

"But I'm always alone. I'm sick of being abandoned," he says and my heart aches for him.

"Um, hey, I can try to get out of Hawk's house and come pick you up for milkshakes like we used to do when I was sad about my dad," I suggest.

"You'd do that? Even if it isn't from Evan's?" he asks me, referring to the best milkshake place in Santa Maria.

"Sure," I say.

"Aw, crap. I have karate this morning. Maybe this afternoon?" he asks me and I sigh.

"I have karate today, too. I can't promise tonight, but I'll really try. I just have to figure out something to tell Hawk," I say and hear him scoff.

"That bonehead will believe anything you tell him," Robby says.

"Hey, that bonehead is my boyfriend," I defend.

"I know. I'm just messing with you, Zion," he laughs.

"I'll let you know," I say. He says goodbye as I hang up.

I walk out of my guest room and downstairs to see Mrs. Moskowitz cleaning up the living room. I look over and see Hawk eating at the table. I walk over to join him, giving him a quick peck on the lips.

"Good morning," he says and I steal the bacon out of his hand.

"It is now that I have bacon," I tease.

"Oh, come on," he whines.

"Why's your mom cleaning like her life depends on it?" I whisper.

He looks to the living room. "My dad is coming into town."

"Your dad?" I ask, surprised. This is the first time I'd officially meet Mr. Moskowitz; he's also the one giving me a nice place to stay. And not only that, but I'm dating his son and it's like everything depends on this meeting - no pressure.