4.2.0^

Chapter Fifty-Six: Mommy Issues

"We've got to hold on to what we've got. It doesn't make a difference if we make it or not. We've got each other and that's a lot for love."

~Living On A Prayer by Bon Jovi~

⭒⭒⭒

Revised: September 14, 2022

Warnings: abuse, addiction, anxiety, biphobia/homophobia, depression, domestic violence, slight eating disorder, language, panic attacks, sexual harassment/assault/abuse, violence, and other mature themes

⭒⭒⭒

Zion's POV

I spot Robby as he lifts. I can't help admiring his body as his muscles flex and the sweat rolls down his body as his hair slicks back messily...

"For that to work, you have to focus, Z," Tory walks into the back room with a smirk.

Robby sighs and sets the weights back. I look down in embarrassment and Robby sits up to grab water.

"Too busy enjoying the view?" he questions.

"Shut up, you two," I tell them with a sheepish smile.

"Do you guys mind if I work on the treadmill? I stand up all day at work and I need to train my legs some more," Tory explains.

"Go ahead," I nod to her.

Robby walks towards our mat beds, "I hate that we don't have any privacy here except that shitty bathroom."

"We don't have any other option," I remind him.

"Anyone can walk in on us whenever they want. Doesn't that make you uncomfortable?"

"I guess I've been sleeping here for so long that it doesn't phase me anymore," I keep my voice low since the other Cobras are still here.

"I have another place we could try," he sighs. "At least it has a real bed, a door, and heat."

"Where is this?" I question.

⭒⭒⭒

"Are you sure this will be okay?" I ask Robby as we walk through and apartment complex in northern Reseda.

"Anything's better than the dojo floor," Robby assures me.

He knocks on the door with one hand, the other clutching mine.

The door swings open to a blonde woman with a kind disposition.

"Hey, Mom, can Zion and I crash here for a while?"

⭒⭒⭒

"Robby talked a bunch about you, especially over that summer. I'm so honored to finally meet the Zion," Shannon sets some coffee down for us.

"It's very nice to meet you, too," I say nervously.

"Feel free to call me Shannon or whatever," she tells me. 

"Thanks for letting us stay with you. I know it's not easy after rehab to-"

"Don't even mention it. You're my son. I should always make taking care of you a priority. I messed up before and I want to fix that," she smiles sweetly.

I smile to myself. At first, I got flashbacks to my mom, but Shannon has actually been to rehab. She's sought help and it makes me so proud of her. Now, I just need to trust her and hope it won't be anything like before: Janice, Ellen Moskowitz, and Carmen.