0.1.0

Chapter Negative One: Robert Swayze Keene

"Oh, it's new, the shape of your body. It's blue, the feeling I've got and it's ooh, whoa, oh. It's a cruel summer."

~Cruel Summer by Taylor Swift~

⭒⭒⭒

Warnings: abuse, addiction, domestic violence, language, underage drinking, and other mature themes

Yay! Here is the first chapter of the prequel. Enjoy.

⭒⭒⭒

Zion's POV

"So, what are your plans for the night?" Jess asks in a suspiciously happy voice.

"I'm going to see my dad," I say. 

"I thought they said he was okay?" Jess asks in concern.

"He is and he'll be released tomorrow. It's just... I want to visit him again," I say.

"You were just there a couple of hours ago, though," she reminds me. "You're always at the hospital. Isn't it a good idea to get out and enjoy life for a change?"

"I don't know how long I have left with him," I frown. "Even if he does sleep the entire time..."

"I know your dad would want you to go out and have some fun. You're so selfless when it comes to him, always wanting to visit and check that he's okay. But, Zion, you need to take a break from the pressure and just relax," Jess reasons with me.

I know she's right. I've become so stressed ever since his diagnosis. Cancer kills and my mom's constant pessimism has me paranoid and worried 24/7.

"What were you thinking?" I ask her.

"There's a party on the beach tonight," she smiles excitedly. "Brian is going and dragging Katie and Diego along. Reid already has some of his friends going. It's a huge gathering and I really want to go."

"A party?" I ask. "Are you going to hookup with a cute girl and leave me all alone again?"

"That was one time," she says and we both smile at each other. I'm never letting her live that down. "Maybe I can find you a hookup."

"We both know I'm not really the hookup type," I shake my head. I don't think I could ever see myself having a one night stand.

"Well, then, a hot significant other may be at the party awaiting you," Jess says with a smile. "These are the best years of our life. Have some fun."

I sigh, "Okay, but only because this seems really important to you."

"Yay!" she jumps up in excitement. "You're wearing your new lavender bikini. I've already decided."

"You picked out my outfit?" I ask in astonishment.

"I've been trying to get you out to a party again for the longest time. You take a while to get ready, so I cut out a step for you. You're also wearing my black lace sundress over it," she says and walks over to her closet for me to borrow it.

⭒⭒⭒

"Get in, losers," Katie quotes Mean Girls as she pulls up to Jess' house in her Jeep. 

Reid is already in the front with her while Brian and his boyfriend, Diego, are comfortable in the back. This leaves Jess and I to squeeze in, as usual.