1.1.0

Chapter One: Miguel Diaz

"Every time I wanna get a little peace of mind, all I gotta do is close my eyes and suddenly I'm dancing in my childhood bedroom."

~childhood bedroom by Ben Platt~

⭒⭒⭒

First published: October 10, 2020

Revised: July 3, 2022

Warnings: abuse, domestic violence, sexual harassment/assault, language, violence, and other mature themes

⭒⭒⭒

Zion's POV

"Zion!"

I jump at the sound of my mom's voice echoing throughout our little apartment.

I set my laundry down and walk out to the living room, "Yeah?"

"I need you to go pick me up some Advil from the drugstore. I ran out," she sprawls out on the couch in a drunken state.

"But I-"

"Just go," she groans. 

I drop my head. It's no use to argue because she'll just react horribly. I grab my keys.

I get into my car and drive down to the strip mall nearby with a mini mart. I could walk, but I don't necessarily feel safe on this side of town.

I hate it in this new town. I wish I could just move out. But, here I am, living with my mom who gave up on trying years and years ago.

I walk into the store and look for the medicine isle. I notice some guy about my age in the store asking in Spanish for what sounds like Pepto-Bismol.

The worker points to an isle and I follow, assuming all the meds are there. I find Advil, reaching out for mine at the same time as the boy next to me.

I look at him with an awkward smile that he returns.

He holds up the pink medicine, "For my grandmother."

It makes me almost smile that he made sure I knew that it's not for him. Almost. 

I take the box of Advil and hold it up, "For my mom."

"I'm Miguel," he offers.

"Zion."

"It's nice to meet you. You're actually the only person my age I've seen around. I mean, that's not meant to be creepy. I-I'm new here," he explains as we step towards the checkout counter.

This time I really do smile, "I'm new, too. You're the first person I've met, also." I haven't smiled in a while.

"That's cool. Where are you enrolled?" he asks curiously.

"West Valley High," I respond.

"Me too," he smiles and I see his braces clearly. He's such a dork. "Maybe we'll see each other or have some classes together."

"I'd like that," I agree as we step into line behind the blond man.

Maybe this is a sign that the universe doesn't hate me. I know it's wishful thinking that I'd have a friend so quickly, but I'm going insane by only interacting with my mom.

Miguel gives a glance towards the man as the cashier ducks behind the counter to look for something. He initiates a conversation with the man.

"My grandma's not feeling well."