2.2.5

Chapter Seventeen: Memories

"I guess you don't know what you got 'til it's gone. Pain is just a consequence of love."

~My Everything by Ariana Grande~

⭒⭒⭒

Revised: July 9, 2022

Warnings: abuse, domestic violence, sexual harassment/assault, language, violence, and other mature themes

⭒⭒⭒

Zion's POV

I took a nap after a shower in anticipation of Hawk's dad coming into town. I get ready and notice my hair is beginning to fade a bit, despite the color-protecting shampoo Hawk's mom bought for us.

I was told Mr. Moskowitz is coming at five o'clock and its four right now. So, when my makeup is done and I look presentable, I go to Hawk's room and see him watching something on his computer.

"What are you watching?" I ask and he looks up at me with a smile.

"MMA fights," Hawk says and I sit on his bed with him. He wraps his arm around my shoulders as I watch the computer screen to see men fighting each other.

"I didn't know you liked watching that stuff," I say. It makes sense for Hawk, but I had never seen him previously watching fights; Eli used to be into Doctor Who from what I understand.

"I just got into it. It's awesome," he says. I watch them continue to throttle each other.

"Your dad comes in an hour or so," I say. "Are you excited?"

"I guess. I haven't seen him in a while, so I'm happy to see him," he shrugs.

"Do I look all right to meet him?" I ask.

"Z, you look hot all the time," he says, but he isn't even looking away from the computer.

"Hawk," I turn his head to face me and he's unhappy I took his attention away from the violence. "Do you think this is a good outfit for me to meet your dad in?" He looks at it and shrugs.

"I don't know. They're just clothes. And they're on you, so whatever you wear is great," he turns back to his fighting. I understand he's a guy, but I'm nervous deep down about this.

"You're such a guy," I roll my eyes.

"Sorry to disappoint," he says and I smile, resting my head on his chest. He plays with me hair and sends light chills down my spine.

"Me living here depends on him liking me," I say.

"Who doesn't like you?" he asks me.

"A bunch of people!" I say and Hawk continues to stroke my hair soothingly.

"Z, everything will be okay. If you're so worried about this, then I can do all the talking," he suggests.

"No, because then he'll wonder why I can't speak for myself," I say.

"Okay, then you do all the talking," he shrugs.

"No, what if I say something stupid that screws it all up?" I ask in a panic and sit up. Hawk pauses his video, turning to me.

"Z, you're freaking out over this for no reason. My dad is easy going. He won't hate you and he'll be happy to meet you. Trust me," Hawk has his eyes meet mine and my stress decreases a little. His hand grabs mine, "I won't let them kick you out and they'll never want to. You're awesome, Z."