1.10.5

Chapter Thirteen: Toxic Masculinity

"Bad mistakes, I've made a few. I've had my share of sand kicked in my face, but I've come through. We are the champions, my friends and we'll keep on fighting 'til the end."

~We Are the Champions by Queen~

⭒⭒⭒

Revised: July 5, 2022

Warnings: abuse, domestic violence, sexual harassment/assault, language, violence, and other mature themes

⭒⭒⭒

Zion's POV

I walk back to the arena with a weight off of my chest; I feel relief about having her leave me alone... for now, at least.

On the mat, I see some guy in a blue gi talking with Robby, Sensei, Miguel, Hawk, and the other Sensei behind the announcer.

"And as I look around this arena, I pray for every race, religion, and gender, that we can live together in peace." I look in confusion at what's happening. "Please join me in a moment of silence as we strive to end intolerance in our time."

I look around and see everyone look down and actually sit in silence. I decide to just sneak back to my team by going the back way. I run to the locker rooms and then out to the arena where everybody is set up to fight and my dojo is in a line.

"Z, you okay?" Sensei checks on me when I come back in.

"Never better, Sensei," I nod to him.

I squeeze in next to Hawk and see Miguel is already on the mat with the guy from Topanga Karate.

"Really?" Hawk looks at me in concern and I nod, grabbing his hand. He grabs it back and I smile.

"I took care of my mom. Showed her 'no mercy,'" I explain.

"Nice. Did you kill her?" he asks and I laugh.

"No, but I did threaten to report her to the authorities if she didn't leave me alone," I explain.

"Badass. I'm proud of you, Z," he whispers.

"Fight!" My attention is drawn to the ref beginning Miguel's fight.

Miguel wins one point after a moment of struggle. We all cheer, Hawk and I going crazy with excitement. The semi-finals play to five points instead of three. I watch as he goes against the boy again and loses the point.

"That's okay, you've got this, Miggie!" I tease, wondering if he can even hear me through the yelling.

I look over and see Robby looking at me. Oh, yeah, I forgot about him when I got distracted by Janice; I'll need to figure out what to tell the guys.

"Focus, Diaz!" Sensei yells. Then, Miguel fights him again, a bit harder this time, kicking and then goes into a jump spinning crescent kick. This sends his opponent to the ground, making the score 2-1. "Offense! Stay on offense!"

"Fighting positions. Ready? And fight!" Miguel stays on offense until the blue guy goes down and then pops back up, now taking offense on Miguel.

"You've got this!" Hawk yells.

"Come on! You can do it!" I scream.

"Let's go, Diaz! Don't let him trick you," Sensei says.

Miguel is not fazed by his opponent's flips and instead takes what he knows and kicks, sending the boy to the ground and winning the point.