3.3.0

Chapter Thirty-Nine: Infiltration

"Why do you keep a comin' around playing with my heart? Why don't ya get out of my life and let me make a new start? Let me get over you the way you've gotten over me."

~You Keep Me Hanging On by The Supremes~

⭒⭒⭒

Revised: July 25, 2022

Warnings: abuse, anxiety, biphobia/homophobia, depression, domestic violence, slight eating disorder, language, panic attacks, sexual harassment/assault/abuse, violence, and other mature themes

A/N: I promise that if you're here for Robby you only need to hold on a little longer for content. Either way, enjoy this roughly 7,000 word chapter :)

⭒⭒⭒

Zion's POV

"Hey, Z," Jenna catches up to me after school in the hallway. 

"Hi," I smile at her as she walks beside me.

"I wanted to know if I could have your phone number?" she asks nervously and I look at her in shock a moment. "Y-You know, for biology homework," she covers and I wonder if that's really why.

"Uhm, yeah. Yeah, sure," I say.

"Awesome," she beams and hands me her phone. I put in my contact and give the phone back to her. "I'll see you Monday?"

"Monday," I confirm. Tomorrow is a teacher workday. She walks away and I smile happily. 

I walk out to the parking lot and unlock my car when my phone buzzes.

Jenna to Z: It's me, Jenna:)

I save her contact in my phone excitedly and debate on what to send back.

Z to Jenna: Hey

I look back down at what I sent. Stupid. I should have said something other than just, "Hey."

Suddenly, I hear motors roar behind me and I turn around to see some motorcycles coming my way in the parking lot.

"Z," a voice calls after me. I hear Hawk's voice and I see he's one of the guys on a motorcycle. The others must be Cobras, too.

I realize after a moment that I'm subconsciously biting my lip at how hot guys who ride motorcycles are. Stop. I'm basically talking to Jenna. 

Hawk flips the visor on the helmet up and shows me his face with a smirk, "I was going to ride over to see Miguel today since he's finally accepting visitors. Do you want to come with me?"

I tense at the mention of Miguel. I don't want to see him. It's too hard to face him after everything that happened, after what I caused.

"No, I..." I try to find something to say, "I have to get to work."

"Oh," he says and I see his smirk fall a little. I feel kind of badly. "That's all right. Some other time."

Assface speaks up, "Ready to go?" 

"Let's ride," he puts his visor back down and they speed off.

Sure, I lied about work, but seeing Miguel makes it too real that he's alive. I don't want hope back in my life. When I get too attached to people, I get hurt in the end. Or they get hurt. I already let go of Miguel and I realize I'm already slowly letting Hawk back in.