Chapter 62

Lan Xichen did not walk alone at this hour. Wangji leads the way to JingFei's old quarters with a torch in hand. After their discussion, it was decided that the second jade needed to return to Yunmeng to be with Wei Ying. But before that, he wanted to help his brother put his nephew's remains inside the earth. 

Not allowing it to be buried peacefully, JingFei hoarding her dead baby was doing more harm. Cuifen and Fan sat in the same space with her at all times, afraid their Mistress would hurt herself. The stench of rot was becoming unbearable yet they kept watch for the love they had for their troubled Madam.

Immediately the door was pushed they sprung to their feet. Lan Wangji waited at the entrance with a simple nod to psych his brother. The two servants bowed respectfully as they walked past the Second Jade to wait further outside.

Xichen choked at the smell; closing his eyes to ward off his weakness. JingFei was on the ground staring blankly at the child. She refused to eat, drink, or even bathe. All she did was rock her sleeping baby.

"JingFei...my dear, can I hold our son?", Xichen sat beside her; His hand moves to touch the piece of cloth, shifting the hem to get a better view of the bluish-grey baby. "Isn't he beautiful?", JingFei giggled lightly- her vision still on the new love that broke her.

Xichen turned to see the smile on her face after the corpse was given to him with the utmost care. "Lan Huan, I was thinking...What if I begged your brother's partner to bring him back. The Servants say he's done it many times before.", JingFei met her husband's gaze, seeking support. "You...you could tell Wei Wuxian to bring back my child.", she said.

Her smile froze when Xichen shook his head. "A'Fei, brother in law can not bring back our son...Look at me.", the man brushed a hand on his wife's face. "We need to him rest in peace..."

JingFei, "No, Lan Jun needs me. He needs his mother."

"Lan Jun is gone JingFei...I will give you another son. I will dedicate my time to doing that if it gives you peace.", Xichen took his chances. Jingfei blink at him, brooding over his words.

"But I...But I dont want another baby...I already have Jun.", Jinfei was lost.

Xichen sighed, "I know...But you have to live again. Maybe our little Jun will return to us in a new form. I know he will speak of how wonderful his mother is on the other side of the world... He won't be able to fly if you trap him here like this. As your final act of love... let him go."

JingFei's heart became still for a moment. She did not react even as her husband pulled her closer to comfort her with a kiss on the head. Xichen took the chance to say goodbye as well. Finally, as he lifts himself Madam Lan's dull heart begins to ache again. Each step Xichen took away from her was like a dagger slowly mauling her chest. She thought of the joy that baby brought her while she was locked away like an animal. Of those nights she crooned to her unborn, songs her mother used to sing for her; songs of love.

"No...I change my mind. I change my mind!", JingFei tripped on her dress as she tried to get up. "Xichen!", She rose again, racing for the door. Cuifen and Fan did their job and grabbed on to her to give Zewujun the chance to escape.

"No, Lan Xichen!! Give me back my son!! Dont take my baby away...XICHEN!", She struggled to break free and made it toward the gate screaming at the top of her lungs. Her maidens caught up to her again and hauled her back inside.

As the woman's wails traveled far, Lan Wangji turned back. Xichen walked by solemnly yet the Jade knew JingFei was not the only one shedding tears for their loss...That instant, fear gripped him. He wondered if Wei Ying was truly okay...

******************************************************************************************

Years ago...