Chapter 34

They sat outside, staring at the moonlight after everyone else left. They had a small party with a few disciples. Although Gui could not make it, Wei Ying was happy either way. He was so close to going home.

"Isn't it beautiful?", Wei Ying wiped the small drops of liquor on his lips as he starred at the mysterious yellow ball hanging in the sky. He placed the jar beside the empty ones. "This time I agree with you...It is lovely.", ZhiHao replied.

"Hmm.", Wei Ying spied on the man beside him from the corner of his eye. There was that longing he saw from time to time, one that could be likened to his own or perhaps, even worse.

Wei Ying, "ZhiHao, I know you hate me prying, but I've always felt there was more to you than a grumpy old man with the face of a youngster.". He waited to get yelled at but the demon only gave him a smile.

"I thought being angry would help me keep someone's memory alive. That there was no reason to be good...But you changed that. Wei Ying, I know you're aware I was not born this way.", ZhiHao sighed and faced his friend. "How do I begin...No, how about I show you...I'll let you look, just this once.", he shifted closer and shut his eyes.

Wei Ying hesitated for a while. Was he really ready to look through another tale when he was still pulling through his own. He only used 'empathy' to investigate during a pressing problem or night hunt. It was never intended for his friends. ZhiHao was now a friend, not a demon he captured months or years ago. Wei Ying drew nigh and cupped the demon's face anyway, gently bumping their foreheads together for support. 'He is my friend and I have his permission.'

Slowly, an hour passed. ZhiHao opened his eyes. He blinked once and the solemn tears fell from his eyes. He was not expecting Wei Ying to be moved but the human's face was already overrun with silent tears. The demon closed his eyes again and let the memories flow into the other for a few more minutes.

When Wei Ying finally opened his eyes, he fell into his arms and hugged him. "I'm sorry.", was all he could think of. He didn't know any special words of encouragement or support. "You still carry her with you?", Wei Ying bravely touched ZhiHao's chest, feeling for the hidden twig. The demon took his hand, "It's no use...I tried everything.", ZhiHao wiped his tears. "Silly human...Crying because of what I went through in the past."

"But its not the past if you still live in that pain... Lan Zhan would have adored you if he knew...", Wei Ying chuckled as more tears flowed.

"Why?"

"He loves bunnies...You should see the way he looks at them."

"Really...Then I look forward to formally meeting him as your friend, when we take you home."

Wei Ying nodded , "ZhiHao, I may not have the right words but I think Lin wants you to let go of the past and be happy."

ZhiHao, "I know...I will try...Now come on, you need to rest for tomorrow."

Wei Ying, "I don't think I can fall asleep."

ZhiHao chuckled, "I figured...A few more minutes them."

Wei Ying, "Mn."

**************************************************************************************************

Lan Wangji awoke from another dream...This time it was not a bad one, there was a strong feeling in his gut that Wei Ying was on his way home. So the next days he began making preparations, he wanted to make sure everything was perfect for the return. He went to Xichen's quarters to pick up his nephew every morning for a few lessons. Wangji went himself in order to have a few conversations with his brother before the day officially began.