Chapter 64

Xiao Jiayi P.O.V

Today will never be forgotten. Everything happened so fast I could barely catch up. In the early hours of the day I had to be at so many places at a time. I needed to make sure Wei Ying had the best care regardless of the rush.

Wei Ying only tells me his core was put to sleep by Lan Wangji after I ask. That act did serve as an assurance of the baby's safety but Wei Ying's body became weak. As his physician, I should have known of this beforehand. I should have seen this when Wei Ying stayed cooped up in his room all day-that was not like him.

My goal was to make the delivery less stressful for the mother. Cutting him was the easiest way out because of his core. With the change of events, I still had to do it because he was already frail.
But Wei Ying was adamant about starting the procedure without Lan Wangji. And just when the jade arrives, his water breaks; getting everyone frenzied.
We get him to the delivery room only to find out that one of the physicians had tampered with the tools. A few more uncertainties occurred, delaying us further. I must say Wei Ying's first son is very robust; eager to get out.
Realizing things were already complicated, I took a risk. A chance on Wei Ying's core. If I could get him to push just in time then he would have enough strength to get the baby out.

The heavens being on our side, it worked. I showcased the baby boy to his parents with the utmost pride. We had accomplished so much. Everyone in that room did a good job and Wei Ying... had us rolling with his silly remarks.

I handed the little champ over to a nurse and kept my eyes out for the placenta. Naturally, it would take almost thirty minutes and perhaps even more, to come out, so I was not alarmed.

Out of the blue Wei Ying shows signs of distress. I let him breathe a few more seconds thinking it would pass but he couldn't even keep a straight face. I know he does not want anyone to worry but that was not the time to be selfless. His health should come first. My hands were fast in searching for a pulse. I had to be sure he was not suffering because of the afterbirth. It could cause more problems.
And there it was. That faint thud hiding beneath his mother's pulse. There was certainly another baby in there. But how was I going to tell Lan Wangji I had just gambled with the life of his second child without even knowing it. Explaining that I needed to cut might freak him out the more even if he comes to terms with it. I didnt let him stay. It could disrupt my focus.
Once he was out of the way I told Wei Ying what I had just discovered and why I needed to act fast. Luckily this one was not like the first. He was as calm as still water. Wei Ying didnt mind what I did as long as I saved the child.

Those who took notes feasted their eyes as the mother was put to sleep and the incision was done, careful probing the partially reduced bump.

The 'afterbirth' could not happen because both babies were attached to it in separate sacks.
This little one, unlike his brother, was sitting patiently like a king on his throne. He gave us quite a scare in the first minute as he had not cried...I'd rather not think of that disturbing moment.

The battle was finally over and I could now face Lan Wangji. I must have done something to scare him because he rushed in there without hearing me out. He had panicked when I joined him inside.

Wei Ying had endured hardship this day. Not even his core could stop him from drifting off to sleep after the medicine I used wore off slowly. They may have taken it as a prank when Wei Ying suddenly said something. Knowing Wei Ying, who wouldn't believe he was playing dead.

Returning to my room, I had a meltdown. A lot of things could have gone wrong today. My heart raced like never before. Luckily I had an understanding husband who knew how to give me comfort when I was down. In Wen Ning's arms, I was calm and the only image I could think of was the smile on Hanguanjun 's face.