Chapter 37

Years ago...

"I still don't understand why he's in this state...He was fully awake when I left.", ZhiHao wiped Wei Ying's face with a cold towel. Dark circles had formed under his pale white skin and his hands trembled a bit with each swipe. Days had passed since his friend fell unconscious and his instincts kept telling him it was his fault. So he stayed by Wei Ying's side, day and night. Guarding him. 

"A'Hao, let me help you with that...You need to eat something and rest.", Chen Ping could not watch the demon punish himself any longer.

"The Grandmaster said to give it a few more days...Wei Ying will wake up.", GuanYu placed a bowl of vegetable soup on the table and gave him a smile.

The demon was still stubborn and kept on cleaning Wei Ying, ignoring the siblings. Ping went to him and held his face, guiding it with her touch. "A'Hao, you may be a demon but you still need to rest and take care of yourself. Wei Didi would be upset if he woke up to find you like this. I'll stay by his side tonight so please let me help."

ZhiHao flinched. He'd seen eyes peering at him like this before. He lowered his own, wanting to look away but Ping was persistent and kept him steady. GuanYu was not sure how to react to such a scene and averted his gaze. *Clang* His eyes instinctively followed the sound of the small basin restlessly rotating on the ground after a hard fall from ZhiHao's trembling hands .

" Erm...I'll get something to clean that.", GuanYu cleared his throat and stepped out for a few seconds. Ping retracted her hands seeing the look in the demon's eyes.

The elder Chen returned with a rag and proceeded to clean the floor even when the other two tried to stop him. "Huh...ZhiHao, did you break any bowl or cup?", GuanYu brought out a piece of ceramic peacefully resting under the bed.

"No...And we don't have this design...Isn't this...Damn it!! I should have known!", ZhiHao stood up, anger flooding his veins. The Chens understood right away what he meant. "Brother Hao, don't be rash, this could mean anything.", GuanYu tried to sway his judgement.

"Don't act dumb with me!! We all know that snake is the only one that'll feed this idiot something... I've warned him several times not to accept gifts from him...I'm going to rip that snake's head off!!", ZhiHao barked.

Ping held him back when he tried to leave, "A'Hao, please...Let me look into this. The Grandmaster will not let it slide if Brother Gui really had a hand in this.". She trailed her hand toward ZhiHao's face. The demon's eyes glowed red and his chest huffed and puffed with restless breaths. All he wanted to do was kill a certain disciple.

*********************************************************************************************************

Present day...

"Lan Zhan...I have to visit Jiayi...", Wei Ying sat across Wangji as he went through a few scripts.

"No", Wangji had his eyes buried in the sheets.

Wei Ying pouted. It had been more than three weeks since he returned and Hanguanjun refused to let him go anywhere. "Lan Zhan, it's really necessary that I see Jie."

"Are you unwell?", Wangji intoned, still with his eyes low. It would be impossible to deny Wei Ying anything if he looked into his enchanting grey pupils. "Errrm no...Ok, how about I go with Sizhui?", Wei Ying smiled, tilting his head to find Wangji's golden gaze but the other was careful not to fall for his tricks.

Wangji, "No...If its urgent, I can teach you how to send a butterfly message so they can come instead."

Wei Ying frowned, "But...How will they know what I need!". Lan Zhan did not respond but spread out a plain sheet to write a few words.