Chapter 25

Lan Wangji was exhausted. For the past few weeks, he seemed to be carrying the weight of the world on his shoulder. When the incense burner lead him to Wei Ying, he assumed it would serve as a means of communication but sadly it was never fruitful again. He'd be stuck in the dream world alone, searching and calling for the other in black but there was no sign of him.

His burden would be less after his brother's wedding was over and he could concentrate properly on reaching Wei Ying. If it were up to him, he'd sabotage the ceremony but his brother still wanted to go through with it.

(At Xichen's Quarters.)

Lan Wangji could tell right away Xichen was angry when he returned. That was rare. "Oh Wangji, I didn't see you come in.", Xichen adjusted himself and put up a fake smile.

Wangji, "Brother seems upset." He took a seat and put down Bichen. The elder sighed, feeling defeated. He could not hold up the smile any longer and confided in his brother. They've always told each other everything since childhood. Wangji brooded for a while before saying something unusual. "Brother, would you like to have a drink with me?", Xichen was amazed by his brother's request. Even though they've both tasted liquor before, they'd never thought of doing it together.

"Lan Zhan, we cant do it here.", Xichen said. Rules were rules.

Wangji, "Then lets go outside..."

********************************************************************************************

Jingyi refused to come out of his room and didn't mind getting in trouble for it. He was still a bit shaken up by what his best friend did some days ago. "They've all gone mad... What makes them think I swing that way?", he kept tugging at his hair. Jingyi never expected the dignified Lan Sizhui would act so shamelessly with him. The worst part was that the kiss jolted his memory to something else. He clearly recalled what happened between he and Jin Rulan at Jinlintai and it made him feel agitated and confused.

Now he could not look at all his friends the same way and became paranoid when the other disciples had any form of skin contact with him. Jingyi avoided Sizhui the most while trying not to act awkward around him. Although Sizhui apologized for going too far and he genuinely forgave him, the thought of how Jingyi got caught up in such situations with he and Jin Rulan was enough to keep everyone at bay.

****************************************************************************************

Lan Xichen and Lan Wangji booked a room in the nearby town just so they could stay put after having a drink. They both knew the effects taking alcohol had on them and wanted to take precautions. They sat down after ordering some food to go with the drinks. Meanwhile Wangji told his brother how he failed to get to Wei Ying again and they both drew the conclusion that the burner may have run out of spiritual juice.

When the food came, Wangji glanced over at his brother's plate, "Brother, isn't that too spicy?". "I know...", Xichen replied. As they ate Wangji studied how his brother's face changed colour anytime he took a bite. He knew staring was rude but his brother's determination to eat the food marvelled him. After having their fill, they turned their attention to the two jars of emperor smile on the table.