Chapter 20

Leaving Huaisang's home to find the unknown was necessary, so the parting was not gloomy. It was still good they met after so many years. After days of wondering through forests and fields with no sight of another soul, he knew he was getting closer to the gate.

*******************************************************************************

Jiayi, " Your grandmother visits the mortal world to pick up orphans...You'll have to dress like her to deceive the gate keeper... I'll teach you how to open the gate but no matter what, do not talk. The keeper may try to look at your essence. Since you're a blood descendant, your soul should still have some fragments of her essence."

Wei Ying, "Wont this body affect it?"

Jiayi, " There's a forty percent chance of that but I'll give you a special plant. Eat it when you get there but make sure you put on the clothes and the hat... And remember, no matter what, do not speak to the gatekeeper."

************************************************************************************

Wei Ying sighed, surely he had to think of something quick. If his grandmother came for little children with no home, then he had to be with a child to increase his chances of deceiving the gatekeeper. "Hmm...Yes, that should do the trick!", he smiled at his luck. He did not have a little one with him, but he did have a shape shifting demon hidden somewhere. In just a few seconds, he summoned him.

The demon felt his head when he landed hard on the ground. "Sorry about that... Let me help you up." Wei Ying squatted beside him with a warm smile. The demon jolted back, looking at Wei Ying with a suspicious look.

Wei Ying,"Don't try anything silly, you're stuck with me until I'm certain you're no longer an angry creature."

Demon, "A mere human, keeping me captive...Who are you? What are you? This body is clearly not yours."

Wei Ying tilted his head with his brows furrowed. "...I know a shell when I see one.", the demon said.

Wei Ying, "Look, I don't have enough time to explain things but I promise to set you free soon. For now, I need your help."

Demon, "The last thing I'd do is help a human."

Wei Ying, "I understand you but I don't have time for this. Turn yourself into a five year old or I'll put you back in the array... I'm sure you didn't like the other creatures there up in your face." he's look became more serious. The demon thought for a while about it then did as told.

"See, that wasn't so hard... Let me also get into character.", Wei Ying pulled out the white dress his jie made for him and got dressed. The demon was weirded out by the cross dress and shook his head at the scene. "Done!..." Wei Ying put the veiled bamboo hat over his head and grabbed the boy's hand.

"Don't you think whoever this disguise is for will catch on to this?" The child asked.

"That reminds me... eat this." Wei Ying brought out the special leaves Jiayi gave him and gave some to the kid. "You're feeding me grass?", the demon was confused.

"No, its meant to perfect the disguise.", Wei Ying slipped some into his mouth and chewed. "I wonder where this gate keeper is." He said as they walked towards the rock. The little one with him suddenly stopped when he saw the rock and refused to budge. "Huh...Why wont you move." Wei Ying tried pulling.

"I don't like this... We cant be here... Something feels off.", the boy tried walking back yet Wei Ying insisted on pushing forward. They struggled for a while until the demon gave in.

Wei Ying drew some inscriptions and knocked three times on the hard stone. 'hmm, where's this gate keeper...' he thought , when no one appeared. Suddenly the earth underneath them began to tremble and he held tightly onto the child's hands. The rock in front of them made some movements. Now small pieces of rocks from many directions came together and clung to it.