Chapter 68

Days Later...

Lan Xichen set off for Gusu before the cock crowed. Lan Jiang's head resting on his chest from being pulled out of bed too soon, his face shrouded with thoughts and ideas on possible solutions, Lan Xichen found it hard to unwind even when they stopped to rest at an Inn. Sizhui had no grudges against the man and even pitied him to an extent. Zewujun knew what he had to do but doing it would put his wife and Sect Leader Jiang under the watchful eyes of the entire cultivational world. Not to talk about the impact it would have on his son. 

After the long but familiar journey, they were finally back home. Lan Xichen was accorded the usual respect as he pranced through the Cloud Recesses, going to inform Lan Qiren he was around and perhaps relay the news about his brother. What he did not anticipate was his Uncle holding a meeting in his absence with JingFei's brothers. 

"Nephew, they arrived two days ago to know if you've made headway with the investigation. They need to get Lan Shufen's body is one piece.", Lan Qiren said wearing a serious look. 

 "Zewujun, my father's broken heart will not be at ease until the rest of my mother's remains are recovered and the killer is brought to book.", Shufen's eldest son spoke. The Sect Leader let out a gentle breath with attentive ears. He could simply say Shufen was attacked by bandits but that won't pass since the murderer sent her head; a clear sign that he knew the deceased.

"Lan Xichen...Xichen!", Zewujun lifted his eyes at his Uncle. Qiren narrowed his gaze, wondering what had taken the man's attention from such an important topic. 

"Sorry Uncle, I am as disturbed about all of this.", Xichen's lips parted; waiting for his brain to process words. Turning to his in-laws, Xichen announces that he would discuss the issue with the rest of the council in two more days. He needed to conclude on his findings. The men saw no problem with his statement and agreed.

Xichen, "Please, allow me to walk you to your room."

"Thank you...but there is no need. I'm sure you need to rest after your trip.", JingFei's elder brother said. The Sect Leader bowed politely and let them find their way out before diverting his attention to his Senior. Lan Xichen did not touch his tea or the small treats that came with it.

"Did you talk to your brother about returning home soon?", Lan Qiren clenched his jaw, trying not to appear concerned. But Xichen saw behind that stone-cold face.

"Wangji is adamant on returning at the moment. Wei Ying does not feel it is a safe environment to raise their children."

"Children?... You still insist that man is with a child.", Qiren looked away.

Lan Xichen sighed, "Uncle, Master Wei has already put to birth recently. He had two healthy boys." The senior's gaze found his nephew again. The cold expression now washed over with knitted brows and wide eyes.

"So you're saying Wangji is a father of twins?... Two normal human beings?", Lan Qiren leaned forward.

"Yes Uncle, you have two more grandchildren."

"What if that man stole someone else's children?!!", Qiren's tone took a tune to his pulsating heart. Lan Xichen sighed heavily, fighting the urge to massage his temple.

"Uncle!... Would Lan Wangji ever bed another woman or lie? He was there during the delivery, he saw his sons being born and you still doubt?... If you keep this up, Wangji may never let you meet them. Lan Zhan will not allow you to upset Wei Ying anymore as you did in the past.", Xichen spoke to the man boldly then finally he gave in to massaging the point between his brows, "Uncle, I do not want to lose my brother because of your pride...So please help me bring him home.", He pleaded.