Extra 6: Like Mother Like Sons (II)

Lan Wangji was swarmed with paperwork and inscribing texts. He was stuck in his study all morning till his Sunlight peeks through the door.

"MingXia, it's impolite to spy on people.", Lan Wangji only smirked as he wrote. He hears a slight giggle from the girl as the door creaks open. "I wasn't spying on people, I was watching my Father work.", Lan MingXia had on her favourite purple gown; hand-stitched with ruffles on the sleeve. The young miss hops right in with both hands behind her and when she stood in front of Wangji she bowed respectfully as her tutors had demonstrated. Lan Wangji takes pride in watching her...When she's done, he puts work aside and waits for her to fall into his arms. Hugging MingXia was one of the best therapy a parent could get.

"Young Miss, is your class already over?", Unlike the twins, MingXia was homeschooled by a female disciple from the Lan Clan. She didnt mind the venue, but it was often quiet without her brothers.

"Teacher says I've improved a lot.", MingXia made herself comfortable on her father's lap.

"Is that so, why dont you show me?", Lan Wangji put a blank paper on his working space and encouraged the girl to pick up the pen. MingXia did not dilly dally.

"What shall I write?", The girl asked.

Lan Wangji picks a copy of what he was translating and points at a line.

Although it hurt her wrist at first, Lan MingXia preferred holding the pen as her father taught her to. Carefully, she painted words on the sheet, mumbling the letters as she wrote.

"Done!", Her eyes shone over her work as she leaned back into Wangji's bosom while the adult leans forward to inspect it.

"Well done, daughter. Can you read what you've written?"

"I can give it a try.", MingXia was a lively one. "If your mind is strong... all difficult things will become easy... If your mind is weak, all easy things will become difficult.", she took her time with it and was spot on.

"Excellent...", Lan Wangji beamed.

"Does that mean I get a reward?", She smiled so wide, her teeth showed.

Lan Wangji chuckled, "You deserve a reward dont you?", It was Wei Ying's idea of encouraging the kids. Although Wangji was against training them that way, he let it slide often.

"Yes I do.", MingXia's brow knitted almost like she knew her old man was going to pull one of those Lan rules against her.

"But MingXia, I do not have any candy with me...neither do I have money to give."

"Oh Father, you know me so little. Mother says material things are fine, but memories are better.", Lan Wangji was not expecting that domineering comeback but he found everything MingXia did to be adorable. Even her frown.

"Memories?"

"Mhm, he said it is worth more than a chest of gold and silver... I dont want money or candy, I want you to take me on a father-daughter picnic." MingXia had a bright idea. "We get to sit, enjoy the breeze, drink tea and talk about adult stuff- but you can't tell anyone what we talk about."

"...", Wangji was stunned. Just what kind of adult stuff is Wei Ying telling their five-year-old when he is not present? Well, today he would find out.

Leaving the pile of work behind, Lan Wangji tells the servants to prepare all the necessary things needed at a picnic. He asked the young Miss of her favourite spot to have picnics and MingXia picks the small pond closer to the mountains. Lan Wangji did enjoy setting up the matt and arranging their snacks. MingXia was very particular about what things went where on the mat.