Chapter 29

Another month passed...

 The future sect leader was now a month old and ready to see the world. Per custom, the baby and the mother stayed indoors until the naming ceremony was performed. Again, invites were sent to various sect leaders to give their well wishes and blessings to the infant.

That morning the Lan family went to their Ancestral Hall to pray for the child. Afterword, JingFei's mother performed the rites meant to be done by the paternal grandmother. It was a beautiful moment . By mid-day the guests were introduced to the child at the grand hall and his name was revealed. Normally only his curtesy name should have been given but Xichen was too excited to hide the child's first name.

JingFei was hopeful that the baby would make her husband love her. She fell for Xichen on their very first meeting; his height and light coloured eyes swept her off her feet. JingFei had married the man of her dreams but he did not feel the same.

On their Wedding night her husband was rather reserved and did not make any advances until she served him wine. Xichen falling asleep after some seconds was unexpected, yet she helped him to the bed and lay beside him. Later in the night she felt strong hands pulling her close and she believed he may have been shy in the beginning. But her heart was broken when her husband called out a different name during their first love making. She then understood why Xichen refused to smile for her like he did before.

Even so she did not complain when Xichen forgot what happened the next morning. In the three weeks they spent together in the Hangshi, JingFei tried to get her husband's attention but got disappointed every time. Eventually Xichen lay with her without the influence of alcohol yet she could tell he was thinking of that 'Wanyin' he calls for when he touched her

Madam Lan played along like a good wife when Xichen moved her to a different house. He would visit her by day and then go back to his place at night. Finding out she was with child some months later came as a shock to them since they rarely did it, but JingFei was glad because Xichen began to pamper her. And now the child was born, Xichen was still attentive to her.

JingFei, "Dear, I have to powder my nose...Please watch the baby, I'm taking the maids with me."

Xichen, "Ok.". Madam Lan exited with her maidens and Lan Xichen picked up his son when he started to whimper. Lan Wangji walked to him to see if he needed any help.

"Ah, Sect Leader Jiang and Sect Leader Jin, you're late to such an occasion?...", one of the guest's words caught Xichen's attention and he turned.

"I had a lot on my hands...", Jiang Cheng replied sternly. ZewuJun felt his heart clench in his chest. He promised he would not bother Wanyin again and for more than year they avoided each other. Since Jiang Cheng missed the wedding he thought he wouldn't show up even if he sent the invite. But here he was with gifts for the child. "Brother, are you ok...Should I take the baby?", Wangji was worried Xichen might drop the child.

"No...I'm ok...", Wangji could see through his lies. Sect Leader Jiang approached them and offered greetings. "Congratulations ZewuJun...I came to give my blessings.", Jiang Cheng stayed three feet away. Jin Ling presented the gifts and then tried to find Ouyang Zizhen. "Thanks...Would you like to hold him?", Xichen smiled, finding an excuse to get closer to Sect Leader Jiang.

Slowly Jiang Cheng slid his hands beneath the baby's head and took him from his father. His face lit up, "He has your eyes."

"You think so?...I wish he had yours...", Xichen whispered and Jiang Cheng's face turned a little pink. Wangji just kept quiet and watched the show. The baby warmed up to the man immediately, snuggling closely to his chest.

JingFei was surprised to see the baby in the arms of a stranger when she returned. 'That's odd, I thought we agreed not to let any guest hold the baby.' She thought as she approached them.