Chapter 29

Yeonjun POV

When Beomgyu and I end the call after his visit to the doctor's, I stay in my bed, thinking of what he's just told me.

Can this be possible? Can this truly be?

I feel like he's playing himself, that he took a maybe for a yes, that he took a spark of hope for the undoubtable truth, and it scares me slightly.

My mind can't stop imagining an alternate universe in which nothing has truly chance, in which Beomgyu would still reach the terminal phase in ten months and, drowned by his own overexcitement, he ends up unwilling to live any longer. It's these types of dark thoughts that linger in one's mind always while we keep pushing it back, but our own anxiety and fears destroy that shield to let our mind take over and show one the things they have been worrying about broadcast, brought to life, entering the eyes of that person like a thriller movie in which you can't help but watch as your darkest nightmares come alive, stronger than in the back of your mind, where you can hide them in a cloth of happier thoughts to hold them back.

I go see my parents, wanting to announce the news to them, but once I get to them, watching a TV series in the living room, I'm not quite sure how to say it. It's supposed to be something that makes me happy, but instead, it makes me doubtful, unsure. Still, I manage to formulate a structured sentence, and get their attention.

"When Beomgyu left yesterday, he actually went to see the doctor. His mother thought he should go because he hasn't gone in months. Apparently, the doctor said there was a chance he could have an extra year before he reaches the terminal phase, and add maybe two years till now before his end" I say, with a spark of doubt in my voice which wasn't intentional, but that can remind them of the importance of the unsure nature of such news.

"Good. This gives you a little more time" says Dad.

"I hope so"

"Yeonjun, your father and I wanted to... talk" says Mom calmly.

Oh boy.

I take a deep breath and wait for the blow, expecting a scolding for yesterday.

"We... We understand now why you got so angry. It was senseless and immature of us to ask you to change your influence on Beomgyu. It's just that... We've noticed that he's been acting differently. More... rebellious, I guess" starts Mom.

"I remember the day we first met him. Such a calm, introverted, silent boy. Now, you've seen him. He's not the same-"

"He's just learnt to trust you. And me" I say, cutting my father's thoughts.

"Maybe. But he still doesn't seem like the type to... push you out in malls and... keep you past your curfew"

"Dad, he didn't even know I had a curfew! And I agreed to go to that mall!"

"Yeonjun, Dad and I were just being sceptical. We didn't mean the harsh things we said, and I guess we still haven't truly had the chance to see how he is with and without you" Mom adds, sensing that shit's about to blow.

Even though I'm getting angry again because I feel like they really want me to change who I am, I take a long, deep breath and calm myself down. "I think you're right. Beomgyu's been spending a lot of time with me, but his mom didn't seem to think he was acting different. I think you're just overthinking it because he's more open now and you feel like it's not him"

But Dad doesn't seem to want to believe me. Thankfully, Mom manages to calm him down and remind him that they and Beomgyu hadn't truly had the chance to talk since about 8 months ago, when he came to that sleepover at my house. I spend a lot of time at his house because his health sometimes gets in the way when it comes to spending the day here.