Chapter 5

Beomgyu POV
The week prior to the sleepover goes by so fast I almost can't believe it when my mom tells me to pack my bag. I start to feel really nervous as I make sure I have everything I need. I keep checking again and again in my bag to see if I had missed anything, having a strong feeling that there was something missing. Sometimes there was, but by 9am on Saturday, I had everything ready. I took about an hour to check and recheck my bag and review the rules with 'Ma and all those other things I need to watch out for or be careful about. It feels weird leaving the safety of my home to go to someone else's house, especially now that I could have a respiratory failure and die anytime. I called Dr. Jeon to ask him if he thought it was alright, but he seemed more happy to know that his constantly locked up patient had a friend to hang out with. Although he said that it would be fine, I was still extremely nervous. When Yeonjun comes to get me at 10, I realise he was the one driving the car.

"Dad had an important meeting to attend and asked me to come drive you home. You don't mind, right Ms. Choi?" he asks as he enters our house. My mother shakes her head and smiles at him, telling him that as long as he can legally drive, it's fine. I tell 'Ma my final goodbyes and get in the car with Yeonjun. When Yeonjun turns on the ignition, he politely bows to my mother in his seat and starts driving.

I don't realise how tense I was until Yeonjun puts his hand on my shoulder at a traffic light.

"I have a license, okay? No need to worry. I used to drive Mom to the hospital during her treatment. You'll be fine"

"I'm not just nervous about this. I'm also a little scared about my... condition. I don't want anything bad to happen to me while I'm in your house or with you and your family. I don't want you to have to drive me back to my house early or to the hospital" I admit.

"I'm sure you'll be fine" Yeonjun eyes my bag and scoffs. The lights turn green and he keeps his eyes in the road as he keeps talking.

"Why is your bag so big? You're not staying a week!"

"I have things that can help me be alright if something goes wrong. I have some meds which slow the process of the illness, eucalyptus inhalers, pain-killers...."

"Although that's surely a lot, I don't think it could fill your bag like this" He says mockingly. I blush and sigh before telling him honestly what's in my bag. Surprisingly enough, he coos but doesn't laugh at me. I smile to myself as I turn my head towards the window. We were driving in a district of Seoul that I didn't know. The car passed loads of houses with huge front yards, flower bushes hiding entrance fences.

Yeonjun and I weren't talking, but it wasn't an awkward silence. Yeonjun's eyes were still full of stars like they were when we talked as he drove down a small alley surrounded by trees. After a few more minutes, Yeonjun stopped in front of a two-story country house. As I was about to open the car door, he stopped me, leaving the car himself. When I saw him going round the car I blushed, knowing what he was doing. He opened the door to my seat, bowing like I was royalty.

"Thank you sir" I said, chuckling. I took his held out hand and climbed out of the car with my bag. When I looked towards the house, I saw Yeonjun's mother laughing at us. I blushed again and looked at Yeonjun. He was also looking at his mother, scarlet red. I chuckled and lightly punched his shoulder, trying to hide my own embarrassment as we walked up the little path towards the house's main entrance.

Yeonjun's mother welcomed me to their house and took Yeonjun aside, surely to mock him, while I just looked around their living room. Pictures of Yeonjun as a child and more recent pictures hung on the walls of the house. I stopped in front of a framed one on some sort of dresser. It was a picture of Yeonjun with both his parents and another boy. Did Yeonjun lose one of his family members too? The other boy was smiling brightly on the picture, deep dimples showing so much it looked like he was showing off.