Chapter 30

Yeonjun POV

My heart starts beating almost painfully in my chest and I feel that same feeling in my stomach as I did just an hour ago. I can't believe I took this long to realise that I was 'just' stressed.

After Beomgyu agreed to talk, there was a moment of silence. I knew that he wasn't going to talk first, because he was shy, but the only sound of the crackling of my mother's phone's microphone didn't help my stress.

I suddenly hear someone clear their throat. It's Beomgyu.

"I... I guess we really didn't take the t-time to really talk to each other... 'Ma always steals the spotlight"

I smile a little. Beomgyu doesn't seem as scared to talk as that time when he came over.

"Your mother is really a nice person, you know? You're lucky to have someone like her" Mom says.

"I know" He answers softly.

I start wondering if his mother is gone when I hear her speak.

"Beomgyu is a rather shy person... I'm sorry, this must be awkward..."

"No, no. No problem" Dad says with a chuckle. Of course, this is awkward. Politeness over honesty.

"I... also don't really know what to talk about," adds Beomgyu.

There is another pause.

"Do you have anything you're passionate about Beomgyu? Something you love?" asks Dad.

"You mean, apart from your son? Haha, I love stargazing. If I really will be able to live a real life, I'll go study aerospace and work somewhere like NASA to be able to always be with the stars" he says.

"You mean, as an astronaut?"

"No no no no no. I don't want to be in space. I want to program the things that will go in space. I want to code their journey"

"So... You must know a lot about stars-"

"I LOVE STARS! I'd do anything to learn all constellations by heart, know the temperatures of the hottest and coolest stars and their SIZES!"

I listen, trying hard not to laugh, as Beomgyu goes on and on about his passion for stars. Guess Dad's got a load of evidence as to why I don't influence him. So I decide to come out and free them from this, which must seem like torture for them considering how loudly he screams some of the major points he likes about space. I'm used to this by now, but they most definitely aren't.

"Hey, I'm back. Sorry I took a while" I say when I get back to the living room.

"You really were long. Is everything alright?" asks Dad worriedly.

"I'm fine, just ended up doing... something longer than expected"

Dad just nods and turns back to Beomgyu, probably wanting to continue their conversation, but, because he saw I was back, he wanted me to do all the talking again.

Mom, Dad and Ms Choi then talk for another 20-30 minutes before Mom suggests we go eat. While we're going back to the table, Dad stops me.

"Hey. I'm sorry. You were right. I can't believe I said such disrespectful things to you. I guess that Beomgyu's shy demeanour made me think you were having... some sort of influence on him to make him suddenly open and chatty. But I was wrong, and I hope you'll forgive me"

I smile "Don't worry, it's okay, except next time, try to avoid telling me that I need to change who I am whenever you think I'm having an influence on someone. This is who I am and you, even as my Dad, don't have the right to change me"