Chapter 39

(I GOTTA SET A TRIGGER WARNING ON THAT ONE: Mentions of family abuse [legit the entire chapter] I'M SORRY IF THIS IS SENSITIVE TO ANYBODY BUT I PROMISE THINGS GET SORTED OUT BUT WE NEED TO GET THROUGH THIS STEP Chapter 40 has a little of it too I think but it's milder but I PROMISE NO MORE TRIGGERS AFTER THAT OK?)

Beomgyu POV

'Ma checks me up for an entire hour before letting us go to Yeonjun's house. She tries to notify Yeonjun's mother, but I tell her not to. I can tell that she isn't thrilled by the idea of just arriving at one's house like that, but I feel like I need to do this, for Junie. The fact that I don't know what's going on and that he's been like that for two weeks now is worrying me.

Once we arrive, my mother comes up with a plan that I must admit isn't bad. I stay in the car and watch as she walks up to the door and knocks. Mrs Choi answers after a short minute, not looking her best. She looks like she's been crying. She and 'Ma chat at the doorstep, it seems she's not letting my mom in. I know 'Ma won't force her to, so I decide to get out of the car.

I greet Mrs Choi once I come up to her. She tells me a slightly whispered hello with a voice that sounds completely destroyed with tears. I ask her if Yeonjun is around as politely as I can, suddenly feeling reluctant to bother his family. She weakly calls for him. When I see him coming downstairs, I realize how tense he is, looking around as if his life depended on it.

I put on my biggest smile, hoping to cheer him up. "I'm sorry to bother you, I just realized how sad you seemed this past week and I wanted to come check up on you"

"We're just here for moral support, but if we're a bother, don't hesitate to kick us out" adds 'Ma.

Mrs Choi laughs. "I'm sure we'll greatly appreciate it. Come on in. You both deserve explanations anyway"

'Ma and I enter the house, and Mrs Choi leads us to the living room. I can't help but notice Yeonjun's father's absence. We're Sunday today, isn't he home?

I sit down in an armchair and take Yeonjun in my arms. Because it's usually the other way around, he's rather surprised, but makes himself comfortable still.

"I could get used to this," he whispers. I tell him not to get too accustomed to it because I wanna be the cuddled and not the cuddler. He laughs a little.

'Ma actually asks Mrs Choi where her husband is on a weekend, and she says she owes the two of us an explanation. This tenses up Yeonjun again, and he gets off me and back onto the couch. Although I really want to follow him and give him my support, I can tell he doesn't want it right now. My mind plays off a bunch of different, terrible scenarios for what could have happened to Mr Choi, mostly revolving around what happened to 'Pa, so I end up making myself guilty and sad before even hearing the reason why he's gone. Typically me. Yeonjun makes eye contact with his mom, and I can see that they're both trying to give each other the task of spitting it out. Yeonjun sighs, and seemingly taking all the courage inside this oh so weak-looking body of his right now, starts talking with some sort of tensed calm.

"We... don't exactly know what happened to him, but he got... really violent really suddenly. When I left you with Taehyun that day, he was just coming back from a work trip to the East of the country, and I wanted to see him. That evening, there was nothing peculiar about him, but you could realize from the next day onwards that something was wrong. He got really aggressive really fast, and we thought he'd drank too much, or started taking drugs. He'd insult me, and Mom, h-he sometimes used violence against us, so one day, we... well, we knocked him out with a sleeping pill and brought him to a doctor. But there wasn't the slightest milliliter of alcohol nor the slightest gram of weed in his body.