Chapter 26

Yeonjun POV

When I get home, I only see my mother in the living room. Hoping to get away from my father, I run upstairs as silently as I can, avoiding both my parents because even if I only speak to my mother, Dad could hear us. When I reach my bedroom, I frantically fiddle with the doorknob, so nervous and out of breath that it keeps slipping out of my hand, and enter my room.

I barely had the time to sigh of relief before I heard a soft chuckle in my room. I keep my eyes on my feet, knowing exactly who was waiting in my room for me.

How was I dumb enough to think that he wouldn't be waiting for me somewhere?

"I just thought it would be better to make you feel a little bit of relief before I started scolding you" he says, and I wince.
"Y-You know, I would've felt better without the false hopes" I answer.
"I can't believe you weren't expecting it"

I chuckle. He's right. He always does this yet I never expect it.

"Me and Beomgyu were having too much fun and I forgot to check the time" I say, hoping it could be a valuable excuse.
"Didn't you see that it was night already?"
I stay silent. I did realise to be honest, but I didn't want to go home, didn't want to leave my baby.
"I was scared, Yeonjun. I wasn't expecting you to forget about such things"
"I-I know. I'm sorry"
"Listen, I understand that you and Beomgyu want to spend as much time together as you can because he doesn't have much time left, and I understand - well, more like respect - that, but please, do take in account your parents' stress. I know it wasn't that late and that it's probably irrelevant to say this but, think about it, Beomgyu also needs some rest. Remember what happened after the two of you stayed stargazing. It might not have seemed late to any of you but Beomgyu still ended up sick in the morning"
"Yes dad"
"So please, be careful. Both with Beomgyu and with the time and deadlines you are given. It might be senseless to you that an adult like you gets get-back-home deadlines, but your mother and I are only afraid"
"It doesn't seem senseless to me dad. I'm sorry dad"
"It's okay, but be careful next time"

He comes up to me to hug me. When he pushes himself away again, he realises my new clothes. I tell him about how I hadn't taken my wallet and didn't have extra clothes and didn't want to take Beomgyu's clothes away and how he paid everything and insisted I didn't give the money back and how we bought rings together. Dad chuckles when I tell him the back-story of the rings and Beomgyu’s parents, going downstairs to mom and hilariously asking her why they didn't do that when they were dating.

At dinner, though, the mood was much less joyful and fun. Only the noise of the cutlery echoed through the kitchen. At that moment, I can't stop thinking about what I've done. Is it because I came home late that my parents weren't talking?

As I was too curious and inquisitive to keep my questions to myself, I finally broke the silence between the three of us.

"Did something happen?"

I wait. I wait eagerly, expecting an answer. Mom looks at me, then at Dad, then back at me. After a while, she turns to dad again.

"It's your turn to explain things. I did it last time"

I chuckle nervously. I usually find it so funny when they 'fight' on tiny senseless things like who took the trash out yesterday and who's turn it is to wash the dishes, but right now, mom wasn't saying it in a joking tone.

"𝘐 did it last- Ugh, whatever, ok"

I sit up straight on my chair, expecting the worse.

"Your mother and I have been… Thinking. Thinking about Beomgyu and you-"
"Dad, we already talked about how Beomgyu's condition was going to shorten our time together but-"
"This is not about the time you pass but rather about what you 𝘥𝘰 while it passes"
"What do we do?"
"I'm not quite sure how to explain this, but, you have to be conscious of the influence you have on Beomgyu"

For some reason, that comment got me mad. Like, really mad. I usually don't get angry that easily in my opinion but I hate it when people tell me not to be myself, and it's even worse when it's my own father.

"Beomgyu and I are doing just fine, and unless his mother has anything to complain about, I will not, I repeat WILL NOT, change for whatever influence you think I have on him" I shouted. With that said, I quickly ate the rest of my dinner and stomped my way to my room.

Once I had made sure that my parents weren't following me, I lock the door to my room and lie down on my bed, sighing. Desperate for some type of attention, I dialed Beomgyu's number, but he was probably eating or sleeping or something, because he didn't answer.

So I just stayed in bed, silent, tears threatening to spill.

I hate getting mad, but I also hate being told to be different.

After about thirty minutes, when no one had tried to bang on my door and tell me to get out, I let my tears spill, hiding my head under the pillow, face to the mattress to muffle my sobs. I don't know why I cried, but I did.

And these tears, these sobs, somehow have me some relief.

These cries, once died down, gave me some comfort.

So when I finally fell asleep, an hour later, still dressed and red-eyed, the night didn't feel rough, nor sad, nor hurtful.

It felt… relaxed, and I liked it.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello

It's been so long I'm sorry.

Promise the next one will come faster.

Thank you for waiting and I'm sorryyyyyy