Chapter 1

Beomgyu POV

"Beomgyu! Come down here! We're gonna be late!" I hear my mom scream.

I sigh as I go down the stairs as fast as my already weak legs would go. I grab my bag as I run to my mother, her hand already on the doorknob and car keys in hand.

"Let's go, Beomgyu. Remember, this time you'll be with Dr. Jeon alone" My mother ushers me out of the house and into the car, complaining about how ignorant I was and that we were going to be late. I never listen to her words anymore. She's just very nervous because she prepares herself for the worst. After all, every appointment with Dr. Jeon could be the one where I was told that I wouldn't live for the next one.

Mom drops me off at the hospital, kissing my forehead before I leave the car. I try to suck in as much air as I can while my lungs feel free and walk carefully up the stairs to the hospital lobby. Dr. Jeon was already waiting for me there. He helps me walk by grabbing my arm and leads me to his room.

"Hi, Beomgyu. It's been a while, you didn't come last month" Dr. Jeon says as a greeting.

I just nod, not wanting to have to repeat myself a billion times because of the slur in my words.

"And why didn't you come?"

He really wants me to talk, doesn't he?

"My mom... some sort of meeting... didn't want to leave me alone"

It totally sounded like "My mom had some sort of meeting and she didn't want to leave me alone", right?

"Your slur's getting worse"

"No shit..."

"Looks like you can still swear though"

I chuckle weakly and smile.

"How are your legs?"

"Weak"

"How's your brain, can you still create the little world you invent for yourself?" He says that in a teasing tone. I told him three years ago at my first appointment with him after my diagnosis of Motor Neurone Disease that because I didn't have much friends, my mind kept inventing a world for me. I think I would've been happier if I hadn't ever told him.

"I don't know....getting hard" I answer honestly.

"I know it gets hard, Beomgyu. But you know how it is, we can't do anything about it"

"I know"

"How's your breathing?"

"Getting harder, but not as hard as talking"

Dr. Jeon just nods. For once, he's not trying to make me say sentences. Am I close to the end?

"I don't like this" I admit.

"Up till two months ago your talking was still fine"

I nod, tears welling in my eyes. Yes, two months ago I was loud and energetic. How bad has my situation got?

"And your muscles?"

"They aren't... that stiff yet" I say, starting to feel a certain difficulty while talking.

"The pain?"

"Still nothing. A couple... cramps here and there"

My words slur as I speak. I feel like I'm about to collapse from fatigue. Dr. Jeon notices that and holds my hand. Even if I'm sitting down, I feel like I could fall to the floor.

"I think the first signs we'll get of the end is when you'll lose your ability to talk, or maybe to think properly" He continues talking as if nothing was happening.