Chapter Twelve

BEOMGYU POV

'Ma was right. That night, my words slur a lot because of how late I had fallen asleep the night before. She keeps teasing me for it when she tucks me in for bed.

The next morning, I call Yeonjun as soon as I wake up.

I'm not addicted to my phone, I'm addicted to Yeonjun.

"So, how did things go yesterday after I left?" he says after my endless 'I love you's.

"I missed you after five minutes and realised how unfair it is to find the man of my life when I'm sure to die. Yesterday evening my words were slurring because we fell asleep late Saturday with all the stargazing" I ramble, recalling my conversations with 'Ma the evening before and summarising it all.

We keep talking until 'Ma arrives in my room, asking me to let go of my phone and saying that breakfast is ready. When I hang up and get up tho, I realise how bad I truly feel.

My body feels heavy and I barely manage to walk to the stairs. 'Ma has to carry me downstairs as I cry in pain and embarrassment. My legs feel like Jell-O and hurt like I've dropped 50 kg on my feet.

Once we both finish breakfast, 'Ma brings me to Dr. Jeon. He tells 'Ma that I should rest, that all these three weeks' movement and emotions have tired me too much.

Results: I have to stay in bed for two weeks.

So as soon as we're home, 'Ma carries me up to my bed.

"But 'Ma, I felt fine during these three weeks. Better than I had in months! I felt good this morning!" I say, trying to get away with it.

"Just because mentally you feel okay doesn't mean that your body's okay"

"But I'm not in pain!"

"And?"

As if it was totally normal in these circumstances, I randomly start laughing.

Another symptom of ALS.

'Ma sighs, and I feel all of the stress, fear and sadness I cause with my sickness in that one long exhale.

Damn I'm a burden.
I shouldn't be saying that.
I take that back!!

Damn I need a break.
A coffee?
I need Yeonjun.

I grab my phone and dial his number, hoping he's free and that we can talk.

He answers at the second ring.

"Hello?"

"Yeonjun it's me, Gyu."

"Hey babe. Is there something wrong or do you just miss me after three hours?"

"Both I guess" I say, blushing.

"All the things we've done for the past three weeks made me tired apparently. Although I feel perfectly fine-" I raise my voice so that my mother could hear it "-I have to stay in bed for two weeks"

"What? No! Can I at least come visit?"

"Uh, I guess-"

"Okay, I'll come tomorrow. Tell your mom" he says joyfully.

"O-Okay..."

For a moment there is an uncomfortable silence in between us, a type of silence which felt almost new with him.

"I'm a burden" I finally say, tears welling in my eyes.

"Beomgyu you're a wonderful being"

"But Junie, even 'Ma can't hide how stressed and annoyed she is by me!"