Chapter 17

Beomgyu POV

When I wake up again, I'm in a hospital bed, 'Ma is sitting beside me and Yeonjun's father is scolding his son. I try to call out for him, but no sound comes out. 'Ma looks at me with a sad face and tells me that I lost consciousness the night before, but that Yeonjun refuses to say what happened.

I roll my eyes. Wouldn't he be happy if he could talk about yesterday's problems with Soobin?

I decide to tell her about it anyway, gathering enough energy to speak.

"It was... one of his friends. He... used to believe that they were... to-together" I gasp for air as I try to explain the entire story. "When he came, he asked... Yeonjun if we were... dating and he said yes and... and he... started beating me up and... telling me to get... out" I barely manage to finish my sentence, but by the time I do, Yeonjun and his father were beside me.

"Who was that friend, Yeonjun?" asks Mr. Choi.
"I-"
"Who was it?" adds 'Ma, trying to sound calmer than the blue-haired boy's father yet still demanding.
"It's.... Soobin" Yeonjun admits guiltily.

Mr. Choi sighs "This man is really awful. He should get therapy or something, I don't know, but that's not right. And why didn't you tell me?"
"Because he's still my friend-"
"And is my son not your boyfriend?" asks 'Ma.

Yeonjun stays silent, and I know what he's thinking. I also hate it when this happens. I used to try to cover my brother's mistakes, but when my past friends were the reason, I wouldn't know who to cover.

I quickly notice a tear making its way down Yeonjun's cheek, and I cautiously lift my arm to hold 'Ma's hand.

"It's okay, 'Ma, he... was dealing with Soobin and I think... I understand why he'd try... not to admit that it was him. I don't blame him... it's fine"
"No, it's not, Beomgyu. If someone does something so wrong as to almost kill you, it's not fine" says Mr. Choi in a strict tone. I watch Yeonjun as he wipes that tear away and lowers his head.
"I... I wasn't going to die. I would've just been... in a bad state"
"You lost consciousness!" 'Ma shouts.
"And? Am I dead?" I say, getting angry as well "I used to do this too and you never made such a big deal out of it! What? Is it because I'm accepting silent excuses? Is it because you feel embarrassed that your son is laying in a hospital bed accepting the fact that his aggressor is getting covered by his boyfriend?"

'Ma looks at me, surprised. I barely ever get mad enough to scream, even less at her, but I don't want to see Yeonjun cry, and I know that it's difficult for him to deal with the guilt-tripping 'Ma and Mr. Choi are giving him.

But when I turn to look at him, Yeonjun is just as shocked as 'Ma.

"Ba- Beomgyu... What?" he says, still shocked, while my heart stings at how he corrected his word.

It's usually in these moments that I want to be called 'baby'.

"That's a good question, for once. You do realise what you've just said?" adds 'Ma, arms crossed. I don't want to deal with them right now.

"Yeah, and I truly think it's how you feel" I say, hoping it would get her mad enough to leave.

I never thought I'd be so socially strained as to throw my own mother out the door.

"You little- ugh! Beomgyu I really hope this is just the meds' effect" she says as she turns around and leaves the room, Mr. Choi following behind her.

Yeonjun stays a moment, and I stretch out my arms, requesting a hug.

But all he does is stare.

"What?"
"You're crazy. I thought you were family-oriented. Beomgyu, that's rude" he says.
I almost roll my eyes. "I'm trying to protect you here, trying to make it work out for you, so please don't lecture me"
"I will lecture you. I never asked for any help. I could've dealt with it, no need to hurt your mother"
"You were literally crying in the corner"
"And? I could've explained myself. I don't need someone to talk instead of me"

Then, he turns around and leaves the room.

Tears start streaming down on my face, noticing only now that I've just ruined my family for an ungrateful idiot.

Great.

I am woken up again a few hours later by a shake on my shoulder. I open my eyes to see 'Ma bent in front of me.

"How are you feeling?" she says in that same sweet voice she usually uses. One that is totally different from what she sounded like before.

"Tired" I admit, looking around. This time, she's alone with me in the room.

"Listen, I'm ready to forgive you for the things you've said, but that still wasn't right. You also owe excuses to Yeonjun's father"
"But 'Ma-"
"No 'but's"
"Let me explain-"
"No explanations. As soon as your healthy again, I'll bring you to his house and you'll tell both of them genuine excuses"
"But Yeonjun was crying, 'Ma! His father kept guilt-tripping him and all I wanted was for him to feel a little better and-"
"And you think that justifies what you did?"
I stay silent for a second. "No. It doesn't. It doesn't because in the end, he was still just as ungrateful. I ruined everything between you and me for it to go better between him and his father and all he said was 'I don't need someone to talk instead of me'. So much for wanting to help out"
"He's... not really wrong"
"Yeah, but he could've at least acknowledged my help!"
"It didn't seem so much like help"
"I know, but I told him it was. All I wanted was for him be at least a slight bit thankful, or to say something like 'you didn't need to, baby', but instead, he just made me an obstacle, a villain, almost made me the cause of some future family dinner fight"

Then, the words fly out of me without a check, without any rethinking. Just pure, heartfelt words that lift some weight of my chest but fills my mind with guilt. Words that make wild tears stream down again.

"I hate him so much"

--------------------------------------------------------------

Low-key drama 🙃

I promise they'll be fine

Baiiii