Chapter Four - Invitation

After the Dust Robbery, the Huntress took Ruby and X-49 to an interrogation room.

Huntress: I hope you realize that your actions tonight will not be taken lightly, you two. You put yourselves and others in great danger!

Ruby: They started it!

Huntress: If it were up to me, you would be sent home.....

At that moment, Ruby smiled to herself. Her smile soon fell as the Huntress smacked her wand on the table.

Huntress:....and a slap on the wrist!

Ruby: Eep!

Soon enough, a man in green entered the room holding a mug and a plate of cookies. He seemed calmer than the huntress as he took a sip from his mug. He then walked up to Ruby and examined her.

Man: Ruby Rose. You have silver eyes.

Ruby: Uh hum?

The man's eyes soon fell on X-49.

Man: And who might you be?

X-49: I'm her guardian.

Ruby: And my big brother.... technically.

The man took notice of their response. He then puts a tablet on the table which shows the three of them in combat against Torchwick's thugs.

Man: Where did you learn to do this?

Ruby: S...Signal Academy.

Man: They taught you to use one of the most dangerous weapons ever designed?

Ruby: Well, one teacher in particular.

Man: I see....

The man then places the cookies on the table. She then proceeds to gobble her way through the cookies, causing the combat droid to chuckle.

X-49: Guess all that excitement didn't effect your appetite, eh, kiddo?

Ruby giggles at her robot brother as she continues wolfing down the cookies. At this point, the man continues questioning Ruby. 

Man: It's just that I've only seen one other scythe-wielder of that skill before. A dusty, old crow...

Ruby: Oh! That's my uncle! 

Upon realizing that she had been talking with her mouth full of cookies, Ruby swallows the cookies with an embarrassed smile on her face.

Ruby: Sorry. That's my Uncle Qrow! He's a teacher at Signal. I was complete garbage before he took me under his wing. And now, I'm all like— Hooowaaah! Witchaaaa!

Man: So I've noticed. And what is an adorable girl such as yourself doing at a school designed to train warriors?

Ruby: Well... I want to be a Huntress.

Ozpin: You want to slay monsters?

Ruby: Yeah! I only have two more years of training left at Signal! And then I'm going to apply to Beacon! You see, my sister's starting there this year, and she's trying to become a Huntress, and I'm trying to become a Huntress 'cause I wanna help people. My parents always taught us to help others, so I thought, Hey, I might as well make a career out of it! I mean the police are alright, but Huntsmen and Huntresses are just so much more romantic and exciting and cool and really, gosh, you know!

The man and Glynda took note of Ruby's response. The also took note of X-49's silence. 

Man: Do you know who I am?

Ruby: You're Professor Ozpin. You're the headmaster at Beacon.

Ozpin: Hello.

Ruby: Nice to meet you.

Ozpin: You want to come to my school?

Upon hearing this, Ruby was shocked. A huge smile fell on her face. Glynda showed Ozpin her disapproval with a simple facial expression. 

Ruby: More than anything! What about my brother? 

As Ruby asked that, Ozpin's attention fell on X-49. 

Ozpin: So you're Miss Rose's guardian as well as an older brother?

X-49: That's right. 

Ozpin: I've seen my share of robots, but you're different. 

X-49: I'm one of a kind. 

Ozpin took note of X-49's response. It was clear that X-49 was different from the other robots Ozpin had encountered. There was something different about him, but Ozpin couldn't quite deduce it. 

Ozpin: How long have you been acquainted with Miss Rose and her family?

X-49: For years. 

Ozpin: I hope you understand that I'm left in an interesting position. I know you would prefer to remain by Miss Rose's side, but Beacon has formidable security designed to keep her safe.

X-49: I don't doubt that at all. It's just that I made a promise to someone very close to me and the family. I intend to keep that promise.

As X-49 said this, Ozpin couldn't help but grow more interested in X-49. 

Ozpin: I see no reason to keep you from fulfilling that promise. You'll be allowed to watch over Miss Rose at Beacon. Perhaps you could even offer our students a lesson or two. 

With that, Ruby and X-49 were allowed to leave. As they left the building, Ruby became overjoyed and hugged X-49.

Ruby: I can't believe we're going to Beacon! 

X-49: I'm happy for you, kiddo. I'm sure your Mom would be proud of you. 

Ruby: I just....I just wish she were here to see this. 

X-49 placed his mechanical hand on Ruby's shoulders to comfort her. 

X-49: Chin up, kiddo. I made a promise to your Mom that I'd watch over you and your sister. That's what I intend to do. Now let's get back home. I'm sure your old man is probably worried sick. And besides, you need some rest for your big day.

Ruby: Right!

With that, Ruby and X-49 went home. Tomorrow would be the start of Ruby's first day at Beacon Academy. X-49 would join Ruby as well as Yang to watch over them to keep his promise to protect them. In that moment, X-49 was about to begin a new journey that would take him to unexpected places.