Chapter Forty Three - The Trail

Outside a fuel station called "Just Rite" Yang parks Bumblebee hear the entrance. X-49 then parks his car besides Bumblebee. Lulu jumps out of the car just as X-49 locks the car. Lulu licks X-49's face much to the Combat Droid's amusement. X-49 then surveys the building. 

X-49: I doubt we'll find upstanding citizens in there.

Yang: You never know. And besides, this seems like the kinda place where I can find someone who might know where Mom is. 

X-49: You lead the way, Firecracker. 

With that, X-49 followed Yang inside the Just Rite. As they walk inside, the people inside take a good look at the group. Yang walked over to the bar where the bartender was cleaning a glass.

Just Rite Bartender: Aren't you a little young to be drinking?

Yang: A water. It's hot out.

Just Rite Bartender: Ohhh. Sure.

As the bartender fixes Yang a drink, the bartender turns to X-49. 

Just Rite Bartender: And uh...what can I get for you?

X-49: Can of Motor Oil. 

X-49 then hands the bartender money. The bartender soon gives Yang and X-49 their drinks. Suddenly, laughter was heard from a drunk man named Shay.

Shay: Are you telling me you're too young to drink? You look like a regular Huntress. And a beauty at that.

Yang: I'm good. Thanks, pal.

Shay laughs as he gets up and approaches Yang. X-49 quickly moved closer to Yang.

Shay: Seriously. Not too bulky. Not too lean. You're...

Yang: Just right. Yup. Like I said, I'm good.

Shay: And your hair...

At that point, X-49 stepped in. 

X-49: The lady's not interested, buddy. If I were you, I'd walk away.

Shay: Was I fucking talking to you, you bucket of bolts!? Now fuck off!

As Shay moves in to touch Yang's hair, she quickly grabs his wrist. Before he could react, Yang slams her metal fist in the side of Shay's face. The man is sent flying through the door. X-49 says nothing as he simply smirks and takes a sip from his can of motor oil. 

X-49: Should've taken my advice, pal. 

Soon enough, the bartender arrives with Yang's drink.

Just Rite Bartender: This one's on the house. He's been driving me crazy.

As Yang reaches over to grab it, her left hand begins to tremble. Her metal hand grabs it to steady it. X-49 could see that the trauma of losing her arm still lingered. Yang then begins guzzling the water down.

Just Rite Bartender: So, what brings you around these parts?

Yang holds her finger as she continues to guzzle the water down. Once she's finished, she addresses the bartender's question.

Yang: Thanks. And I'm, uh, looking for someone.

Just Rite Bartender: Not too many people come out here. Too far from the Kingdoms. Only person worth notin' around here is...well, Ra....

Yang: Raven Branwen. Thanks again.

Just Rite Bartender: N-now, missy! You don't want to go messin' with bandits! They're a world of trouble!

Yang: So I hear.

X-49: Thanks for the heads up, but we can handle ourselves. 

As they prepare to exit the bar, they were blocked by two men. One of them stares Yang down.

Yang: Can I help you?

As the large man stares Yang down, the other man approaches them.

Man: He doesn't like you.

Yang: Lovely.

Man: I don't like you either. You best watch yourself, missy! We're wanted men. I have the death sentence in the Four Kingdoms!

Yang: Good for you. I'll be sure to be careful around you two macho guys!

Man: You'll be dead!

At that point, X-49 steps in to try and deescalate the situation. 

X-49: There's no need for trouble. We're not looking for any. How about I buy you a drink?

t seemed as if the situation had been deescalated. Suddenly, the man pushes X-49 out of the way while the large man prepared to attack Yang. Just as Yang was ready to block his attack, Lulu jumps at the man and sinks her teeth into his arm. 

Man: Argh! Fuck! Get it off! Get this fucking mutt off!

As the large man was about to attack Lulu, X-49 grabs the man and lands a powerful punch in the man's stomach, immobilizing him. X-49 then grabs the large man and throws him out the window. Yang then punches the other man in the face, allowing Lulu to let go. X-49 then punches the man with enough force to send him flying out the door. As the room fell quiet, X-49 gets back on his feet and brushes the dirt off his clothes.

Yang: You okay, X-9?

X-49: I'll be fine. It's gonna take more than a couple of small fish to get the drop on me. 

X-49 then picks up Lulu and pets her. Lulu responds by licking X-49's face. Yang then walked back over to the bar and put some Lien on the table.

Yang: Sorry about the mess.

With that Yang along with X-49 exited the bar.

X-49: What's the next step Yang?

Yang: It's clear Mom hangs out around here. That means she could be close.

X-49: If we're entering bandit country, then we could be dealing with a lot of unfriendly faces. 

Yang: I'm getting my answers no matter what. If I have to fight my way through an entire bandit camp to get them, then I'm prepared to.

As they prepared to leave on their vehicles, Shay slowly gets up. Shay then gets their attention.

Shay: Hey, girlie!

Yang: Seriously? This isn't over?

At that point, X-49 moved in to attack, but Shay speaks.

Shay: I think you might be interested in what I have to say.

X-49: And what would you have to say?

Shay: I heard you're... looking for someone. Heh.

In that moment, Yang was able to deduce that Shay was somehow connected with Raven. A trail had finally been established. Yang would follow Shay in an effort to find her mother. X-49 would follow Yang to ensure Shay would not try anything. The search for Raven had finally produced a solid trail for them to follow. But the search was far from over.