Chapter Seventy One - Worst Case Scenario

After the incident at Robyn Hill's election party, Penny was taken to Pietro's Pharmacy for repairs. As the Grimm situation was contained, Ironwood issued a curfew and a ban on public gatherings. As a result of this, things become tense as the situation becomes increasingly precarious. Ruby's group grew more and more concerned with Ironwood's actions. A video soon spreads of Penny seemingly attacking the people at the party, resulting in increased calls for Penny's deactivation.

Ironwood: This is the worst case scenario. More people are dead, Penny's been framed, and somehow, Jacques Schnee is sitting on the council.

Clover: That's the second shipment for Amity that was hit today. It seems election night was the last push Robyn needed to go from hometown hero to full-on vigilante.

Winter: I'm afraid the problem is more complicated than that. X-49, Ruby tells me that you went after Tyrian Callows. What happened?

X-49: I chased after him. He got the jump on me when I cornered him. 

Ironwood: It seems Robyn has emboldened our suppliers in Mantle. They're refusing to sell us provisions until the city is adequately repaired. With Robyn redistributing the goods her team has stolen, the Amity Project is completely stalled.

Ruby: But we're so close. There has to be some way we can finish the tower.

Winter: There is. Martial law.

As Winter made her suggestion, Nora stepped up.

Nora: You're not actually considering that, are you?

Ironwood: What's more important? Establishing communications, unite the world? Or appeasing a few city blocks?

Nora: Don't make it sound trivial when you know it isn't. You keep talking about how we just need a little more time, but you're not the one having to struggle.

Ironwood: We have all had to make sacrifices for the greater good. Mantle has had to bear a lot of the burden, yes, but--

Nora interrupts him and approaches his desk, becoming even more upset.

Nora: They're bearing all of it! The longer this waiting game goes on, the harder each day gets for people down there and now you wanna send in more soldiers? You can't just force people to fall in line. If you do that, you'll just be trading all of these problems for the Grimm!

As Nora made her feelings known, X-49 spoke up.

X-49: Nora's right. We can't leave Mantle high and dry. They need us.

Ironwood: It's not that simple, X-49. This is war. In war, sometimes you have to make sacrifices.

X-49: Those people didn't ask to be a part of this way. It's not right leaving them behind. Fighting like Salem is not the way.

Ironwood: Don't you dare compare me to her! I am nothing like Salem!

At this point, Nora became frustrated.

Nora: I am so sick of secrets! If we just told everyone about Amity, about Salem...

Ironwood: We can't! If we talk about Amity now, we risk Salem's forces, who we know are here, working to sabotage it. If we tell them about Salem now, we risk falling to the Grimm before we can reunite Remnant. We have to finish the tower. I want Robyn Hill in custody. We can offer her a deal if she gets Mantle to cooperate.

Clover: We'll figure it out.

Ironwood: Anyone not assisting with Robyn needs to focus on Tyrian. I want to know who he's working with, where he's hiding, what he's planning, and how exactly that video of Penny got all over my kingdom.

With that, the meeting was concluded. As Ruby along with Nora and Ren left the room, X-49 stayed behind to speak to Ironwood.

Ironwood: What is it?

X-49: I'm concerned about your course of action, General.

Ironwood: My actions require no justification, X-49. Especially not from you.  

X-49: You know something, General? You remind me of someone I know. The last time someone talked like you did tried to have me scrapped and I lost my memory. 

Ironwood: Get to the point, X-49. 

X-49: You're walking the same path that General Lainus took. It ain't gonna end well. 

Ironwood: I'm nothing like Lainus. I'm doing what I should've done years ago. Ozpin was wrong in his approach to Salem. If Ozpin did things my way, Salem wouldn't be a threat.

X-49: You don't know that.

Ironwood: And what would you know about it? Do you think that chip in your head makes you different from any robot? No. At the end of the day, you were programmed to fight. I've been fighting this war for decades ever since Ozpin brought me into the fold. As I said before, we are at war. War against an enemy who seems to be always one step ahead of us.

As Ironwood said this, X-49 became silent. It became clear that Ironwood made it very clear that he had made up his mind.

Ironwood: Can I trust you?

X-49: Funny. From where I'm standing, I should be asking you the same question. 

Ironwood: Is that what you think?

X-49: I get this. I know you mean well, but you have to understand that what you're doing here is doing more harm than good. If you really aren't like General Lainus, then it's time to put your money where your mouth is. 

Ironwood: I'm done with this conversation. If you're not helping in finding Robyn, then search for Callows. Am I understood?

X-49 remained silent as he walked away. It was clear to X-49 that he was willing to go to great lengths for the sake of winning the war. Left with no other option, X-49 decided to track down Tyrian Callows. But first, X-49 had to check up on someone. 

The Tale Of X-49: A RWBY Storyजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें