Chapter Fourteen - Forever Fall

One day, Glynda Goodwitch leads some of the teams through a forest. The groups included Team RWBY along with Team JNPR and Team CRDL. X-49 was given permission to join Team RWBY so that he may keep any eye on them. As they walk through the forest, Glynda speaks to the students. 

Glynda: Yes, students, the forest of Forever Fall is indeed beautiful. But we are not here to sight-see. Professor Peach has asked all of you to collect samples from the trees deep inside this forest, and I'm here to make sure none of you die while doing so.

Glynda then pulls out a jar and presents it to the students.

Glynda: Each of you is to gather one jar's worth of red sap. However, this forest is full of the creatures of Grimm, so be sure to stay by your teammates. We will rendezvous back here at 4 o'clock. Have fun!

With that, the teams began to split off to explore the forest. Jaune split off from the group to join with Cardin's team. It was clear to everyone that something was wrong. X-49 kept his pistols ready in case Grimm attacked. As Team RWBY and Team JNPR began collecting sap, X-49 stood on watch.

Ruby: Anything, X-9? 

X-49: No, kiddo. We're in the clear for now. 

As X-49 stood watch, both Team RWBY and Team JNPR continued collecting the sap without much incident. Suddenly, roaring was heard in the distance. 

Ruby: Did you guys hear that?

Suddenly, the members of Team CRDL minus Cardin began running the other way from the roar through the other students.

Russel: Ursa! Ursa!

Yang: What?! Where?!

Russel: Back there! It's got Cardin!

As Russel said this, Pyrrha drops her jar of sap, knowing that Jaune was with Cardin. 

Pyrrha: Jaune!

It was in that moment that Ruby went into leader mode. 

Ruby: Yang! You and Blake, go get Professor Goodwitch! X-9, you and Weiss are with me!

As Yang and Blake followed Ruby's orders, Pyrrha turned to Ren and Nora.

Pyrrha: You two, go with them! There could be more!

With that, X-49 joined Ruby, Weiss and Pyrrha as they made their way to where Jaune and Cardin were. They soon saw them facing off against a large Ursa Major attacking Jaune and Cardin. They watch as the Ursa leans over the helpless victim, raising its paw and swiping it down only to be blocked by Jaune's shield, Crocea Mors. He struggles to defend a stunned Cardin from its attempts to lean on him, but Weiss lifts Myrtenaster as she prepares to go help.

Pyrrha: Wait!

As Jaune valiantly fights off the Ursa, Pyrrha uses her Semblance to help Jaune out. 

Ruby: Uhhh... What?

Weiss: How did you....

Pyrrha: Well, Ruby has her speed, you have your glyphs. My Semblance is polarity. 

As Pyrrha said this, X-49 noticed a group of Ursa Minor making their way to the area. 

X-49: We got company. 

X-49 arms his pistols and ran into the direction of where the Ursa Minor were. Ruby, Weiss and Pyrrha stayed behind to help Jaune. As X-49 ran into the fire, he was attacked by an Ursa Minor who bit his right arm. X-49 managed to kill the Ursa Minor with a shot to the head. However, his right arm was temporarily disabled. 

X-49: Not good...

X-49 soon found himself surrounded by Ursa Minor. Despite being surrounded, X-49 stood his ground as he fired his pistol at the group, killing numbers of them. As he held his ground, one of the few remaining Ursa Minor got the drop on X-49, throwing him against a tree. As the Ursa Minor goes to attack, X-49 rolls out of the way and reaches for his pistol. He then fires two shots shots into the Grimm's skull, killing it. X-49 got back on his feet and prepared to make his stand. 

X-49: Come and get me if you want it!

Suddenly, a loud roar was heard, causing the remaining Ursa Minor to run off. Without hesitation, X-49 ran to the sound of the roar. To his surprise, he sees Jaune standing tall over the Ursa Major's corpse. Soon after that, it was decided that it was best that they kept the details of this incident to themselves. After that, all teams were able to gather the sap needed to pass. Later that night, X-49 was repairing his right arm when he was approached by Team RWBY.

Ruby: Are you all right, X-9?!

X-49: I'll be fine. This arm will be good as new in go time. 

As X-49 said this, sparks went off in his right arm. After a moment, X-49 was able to move his right arm without difficulty. 

X-49: There we are. Good as new. How's Jaune and his team doing? 

Weiss: They're fine. 

Yang: Heard Cardin's gonna be leaving Jaune alone.

Upon hearing this, a smile fell on X-49's face. Ruby then walked over to X-49 with a cup of motor oil in her hands. 

Ruby: Here. Thought you might like a drink. 

X-49: Thanks, kiddo. 

Ruby hands X-49 the cup of motor oil and he drinks it. After finishing drinking the oil, X-49 gets up.

X-49: That was a....interesting day.

Yang: You could say that again. 

Ruby: At least Jaune doesn't have to worry about Cardin anymore. 

X-49: Good. Jaune's a good kid. About time he stood up for himself. Since my arm's good as new, I think I'm up for a walk. 

With that, X-49 says goodnight to his adopted sisters and goes on his nightly walk. What X-49 didn't know was that events would soon be set in motion that would put himself and his adopted family in the crossfire of a shadow war.