Chapter Sixty Eight - Pomp & Circumstances

After the success of the mission to clear the Dust Mine of Grimm, X-49 and Ruby's Group along with the Ace-Ops exited the mine. Ruby's group were still amazed at how flawlessly the Ace-Ops were able to work together.

Ruby: Perfect complementary teamwork. Oh, yeah, I want to have my friends' backs just like that.

Harriet: Friends?

Elm: This isn't the schoolyard, kid.

Yang: But, I mean, when you go through so much with someone, it kind of changes things, doesn't it?

Harriet: We get along well enough, sure. I count on them to keep me alive. They do the same. But that's the job. We don't confuse the two.

X-49: That kind of thinking isn't going to carry you that far.

Harriet: What's that supposed to mean?

X-49: The reason why we work so well together is that we're more than teammates. We're like a family. We watch each other's backs.

Soon enough, Ironwood arrived with a battalion of Atlesian troops. The Atlesian troops began moving in to secure the mine.

Ironwood: Can I get the team leaders over here? There's something I'd like to discuss with you. You too, Qrow.

With that, X-49 along with Ruby, Jaune, Qrow and Clover walk up to Ironwood. He then gives some orders to Clover. Clover nods his head as he walks away.

Qrow: New problems in Mantle?

Ironwood: More of the same, unfortunately.

Ironwood then shows a holographic projection of a man who was with the group when they were arrested. His mugshot along with a photograph of his corpse was shown.

Ironwood: Someone in Mantle is taking out public leaders who speak out against Atlas. Specifically, people who speak out against me. It didn't look like a pattern at first. But this is the third murder of its kind in the last week.

Jaune: Wait a minute. That's the guy that rode with us after we were arrested.

Ruby: He died?

Qrow: Your opposition in Mantle dropping dead isn't exactly a good look for you, huh?

Ironwood: Not really worried about my public image, but it is causing unrest. I think someone's trying to frame me and, by extension, Atlas. And it's working.

Jaune: Well, if it wasn't for the embargo making everybody so mad, people probably wouldn't be so quick to blame you for everything else.

X-49: Jaune is right. People are scared.

Ironwood: No. No, you're right. Things in Mantle have been...hard to manage lately. I'm not blind to its issues. In fact, that's what I want to talk to you about. With the launch of this mobile communications tower and tensions down in Mantle, I think there's a lot of good your teams can do here.

Suddenly, Ironwood receives a call on his communicator device. After a moment, Ironwood sighs.

Ironwood: What? Already? Here? No, it's fine. Let him land. I'll deal with him myself.

As Ironwood says this, a ship bearing the logo of the Schnee Dust Company lands on the landing pad. As the Schnee Dust Company airship lands on the landing pad, Jacques Schnee exits the ship. Weiss immediately becomes uneasy at the sight of her father. It soon became clear that Jacques Schnee was not happy about the situation with the mine. Jacques soon approached Ironwood.

Jacques: So let me get this straight, James. In addition to this nonsensical embargo of yours crippling my business, you've also decided you have the authority to commandeer private property?

Ironwood: Actually, I've already informed them. As this is now the site of a classified military operation, it didn't even require a vote.

Jacques: Didn't require a vote?!

Ironwood: You might want to brush up on Council law before you lose this upcoming election, Jacques. Now. I've allowed you to land here once as a courtesy. The next time, it won't be a friendly reception.

Jacques: Lately, you seem to forget who your friends really are. I'm going to get that Council seat, James, and maybe then, you'll...

Before Jacques could finish his sentence, he notices Weiss among the group. The two glare at one another as Jacques returns his gaze to Ironwood.

Jacques: You roped my missing daughter into these schemes of yours, too? How long has she been back in Atlas? Did Winter know about this?

Weiss: It was my decision to come here. Just like it was my decision to leave. Or have you forgotten all about that?

Jacques: If you think I'm one to forget anything, girl, then you've misjudged the man your father is.

Weiss: Believe me, I know exactly the kind of man you are.

Jacques: How dare you speak to me that way!? I have half a mind to....

It was at this moment that X-49 stepped in. Jacques was confused by X-49 appearance.

Jacques: Who the devil are you?!

X-49: The name's X-49. Your daughter has been on the road with us for quite some time.

Jacques: So these are the little friends you threw everything away for, Weiss?

Weiss: Not friends. Family.

X-49: Your daughter is strong and wise. A good father would be damn proud of that.

Jacques scoffed at X-49's words as he redirected his attention onto Ironwood.

Jacques: Don't think that this isn't over, Ironwood. The Council will hear of this outrage!

Jacques then walks away from the group and enters his ship. Soon enough, Winter and Penny arrived. As they did, Ironwood addressed the group.

Ironwood: It goes without saying that this arena holds a significance to all of us. It's only fitting that we should be able to reconvene here. Now. When the world needs to be brought together more than ever. The road you traveled from our first meeting hasn't been easy. You fought for your school and your friends at Beacon. You fought for the world and the innocent at Haven Academy and beyond. You faced down terrors people can't even fathom. That's not the behavior of students. It's the behavior... of Huntsmen and Huntresses.

In that moment, X-49 and Ruby's group were given Huntsmen licenses. They had all become fully licensed Huntsmen and Huntresses. X-49 looked upon his Huntsman license with interest. He then glanced over to Ruby and Yang. He felt immense pride for his sisters getting their Huntsmen licenses. They soon began celebrating the occasion with cake. However, this celebration would soon be cut short by events to come.