Chapter Thirteen - Jaunedice

Days have passed and Team RWBY continue to work on their teamwork with X-49 guiding them. One day during a combat class held by Glynda Goodwitch, Cardin Winchester easily takes down Jaune Arc in a sparring match.

Glynda: Cardin, that's enough!

As Cardin relents, Glynda soon addressed the class.

Glynda: Students, as you can see, Mr. Arc's Aura has now dropped into the red. In a tournament-styled duel, this would indicate that Jaune is no longer fit for battle, and that the official may call the match. Mr. Arc, it's been weeks now. Please try to refer to your Scroll during combat. Gauging your Aura will help you decide when it's appropriate to attack, or when it is better to move to a more...defensive strategy. We wouldn't want you to be gobbled up by a Beowolf, now, would we?

Cardin: Speak for yourself...

Glynda: Remember, everyone, the Vytal Festival is only a few months away! It won't be long before students from the other kingdoms start arriving in Vale, so keep practicing! Those who choose to compete in the combat tournament will be representing all of Vale!

As Glynda said that, the bell began to ring. With that class was dismissed and it was time for lunch. On the way to the cafeteria, X-49 sat next to Team RWBY who was talking with Team JNPR about what had happened in class. X-49 could see that there was animosity between Jaune and Cardin that Jaune tried to deny.

X-49: You sure you're all right, kid? That Cardin guy seems to have it out for you.

Jaune: Who? Cardin Winchester? Nah... He just likes to mess around! You know, practical jokes!

Ruby: He's a bully.

X-49: I'm inclined to agree, kiddo.

As the two teams were talking, the group turns to see a Rabbit Faunus girl named Velvet being picked on by Cardin and his team. They pull on her Rabbit ears.

Velvet: Ow! That hurts! Please, stop...

Cardin: I told you it was real!

Russell: What a freak!

As Cardin and his team picked on Velvet, X-49 puts down his can of motor oil and walked towards Cardin and his team before the others could react. As Cardin and his team continued to bully Velvet, X-49 tapped Cardin on his shoulders to get his attention. At first, Cardin ignored him. At this point, X-49 becomes irritated.

X-49: Hey. Winchester! I'm talking to you.

Cardin: The fuck do you want, you rust bucket?

X-49: I'm gonna have to ask you and your team to leave the girl alone.

As X-49 said this, Cardin laughed.

Cardin: You're kidding me, right? And why should I listen to a robot?

X-49: Listen here, Winchester. I don't want any trouble with you. Frankly, a real man doesn't put his hands on a lady. So leave the girl alone and there won't be any trouble.

As X-49 said this, Cardin laughed once more as he turns his attention away from Velvet and towards X-49.

Cardin: A robot telling me how to be a man? You're just as delusional as this Faunus freak! I hear you're supposed to be someone's brother. Whoever's calling you their brother must be serious fucking headcases!

At that point, X-49 became angry when Cardin insulted Ruby and Yang. However, he kept his composure as Cardin simply laughs.

X-49: Last chance. Walk away or this doesn't end well.

Cardin: I think it's time I teach this delusional fucking machine a lesson!

Without hesitation, Cardin punches X-49 in the face. The force of the punch did nothing to X-49 but knock his hat off. As for Cardin, punching X-49 in the face nearly broke Cardin's hand as he dropped to his knees, screaming in pain.

Cardin: Goddamn it! You fucking broke my hand!

X-49: I told you this wasn't going to end well for you. I suggest the rest of you take your friend to the nurse.

Without hesitation, the rest of Cardin's team help Cardin up and promptly took him out of the cafeteria to take him to the nurse's office to treat his hand. X-49 simply picks up his hat and walks over to check on Velvet.

X-49: Are you all right?

Velvet: Y...yes. Thank you.

X-49: Don't mention it. If Cardin or his friends bother you again, I'll sort them out.

With a comforting smile, X-49 comforts Velvet as he walks back to the table where Team RWBY and Team JNPR were sitting. Both teams were in awe of what X-49 did as he simply sat back down and drank his motor oil.

Ruby: That was awesome, X-9! You really taught that guy a lesson!

X-49: I don't like it when good people get picked on like. Something about that really rubs me the wrong way.

Pyrrha: I agree. It's atrocious. I can't stand people like him.

Blake: He's not the only one...

Yang: It must be hard to be a Faunus.

As X-49 said this, he took note of Blake's reaction. He could tell that she was most bothered by what had just occurred. After some time, the lunch bell rang. X-49 finished his motor oil while Team RWBY finished their lunch. After that, they went to the next class. X-49 was soon called into Ozpin's office in regards to the incident.

Ozpin: I've been informed about the incident with Mr. Winchester.

X-49: He was harassing that Faunus girl. I couldn't let that slide.

Ozpin: Mr. Winchester's actions were reprehensible. Rest assured that the proper punishments have been meted out. Since you did not resort to violence, no disciplinary action shall be pursued against you.

X-49: Pleasure doing business with you.

With that, X-49 tipped his hat to Ozpin and left his office. X-49 then decided to go on one of his walks to reflect on what had just transpired. It was clear to X-49 that his time at Beacon would be interesting to say the least.