Chapter Fifty Five - Alone In The Woods

As morning rose, X-49 along with Team RWBY, Qrow, Oscar and Maria meet outside the farm. It was clear to X-49 that Team RWBY were on their last legs. Soon enough, Weiss spoke.

Weiss: Last night, I...I couldn't stop thinking - why are we even going to Atlas?

Ruby: Weiss, we have to.

Yang: Why? Ozpin hid the Relics behind giant doors under enormous schools, but...how long would it take Salem to find a Lamp in the middle of nowhere?

Ruby: What? The Grimm might....

Yang: They'd find it eventually, sure, but bury it or just throw it down the well, it would take years. It might not even happen in our lifetime. But we could be done with it now.

It was at this moment that X-49 stepped forward in an attempt to keep everyone together.

X-49: I know things are bad, but we can't quit now. We've gone too far just to turn back now.

Ruby looked upon the Relic with conflicting emotions. A part of her was tempted to drop the Relic down the well. As she looks down the well, she sees a pair of red eyes staring back at her. In a moment of panic, Ruby drops the Relic down the well.

Ruby: No! No! No! I didn't mean to!

Weiss: Maybe it's for the best that we leave it here.

Yang: Hey, it's okay sis. You just said you're tired. It's probably nothing. Now let's go.

Ruby: What's wrong with you?! We can't just leave, we have to go down there! We have to get the Lamp back! Oh, what was I thinking?!

Yang tries to calm Ruby down by placing a hand on her shoulder. Ruby immediately slaps it away, shocking Yang.

Yang: Ruby.....

Ruby: If we give up now, everyone we've lost will have died for nothing! Pyrrha....Penny.....I can't let their deaths mean nothing!

As Ruby lashed out a her half sister, X-49 stepped in. 

X-49: It's okay. I'll take the Relic. I won't force any of you to continue. If any of you wish to turn back, no hard feelings. But someone has to finish the job. And if that someone has to be me, then so be it. 

Yang: Why? Why are you so insistent of continuing this when it's clear that there's no hope?

X-49: Because I've got too many things in this world precious to me. With the kind of threat Salem poses, I can't just walk away. That would put you all in danger. 

With that, X-49 walks to the well and goes down it. As he does so, X-49's words struck a chord within members of Team RWBY. Ruby followed X-49 down into the well to retrieve the Relic. Feeling a sense of guilt and shame, the rest of Team RWBY followed. As they descend into the well, they find a vast underground waterway.

Yang: Maybe the current carried it away.

As they continue to search the well, they soon found a bright blue glowing light of the Relic. Once they find it, Ruby runs over to grab it. As she retrieves it, she spots multiple humanoid-looking Grimm of different sizes are bunched together. It wasn't long before everyone spots them. Without hesitation, X-49 pulls out his pistols and fires on them.

X-49: Get the Relic out of here! I'll hold them off!

Ruby: No! We're not leaving you behind, X-9!

X-49: I'll be right behind you! Go!

As Team RWBY runs off with the Relic, X-49 continues shooting down the Grimm with is pistols. As he does so, the Grimm let out an ear piercing scream. They begin swarming X-49, slowly overwhelming him. Despite this, X-49 kept fighting. Suddenly, Maria appears.

Maria: Run! Now!

Left with no choice, X-49 began running for the exit. However, another group of Grimm block the path. Ezio looked around and saw another passageway. It wasn't long before he caught up with Team RWBY. Suddenly, X-49 was ambushed by the Grimm. As they swarmed him, X-49 struggled against the Grimm. Seeing her adopted brother in danger, Ruby's eyes began to glow. With words from Maria, Ruby was able to focus her power on the Grimm, disintegrating them. With that, they eventually reached the house. Once they exited the house, Weiss grabs a few of the alcoholic bottles from the shelves and throws them towards the basement, shattering them. X-49 then ignites the alcohol by using his sword to create a spark. As he does so, a fire was started which spread to the entire house. As the fire consumed the house, everyone took a moment to catch their breath.

Maria: The Apathy. They're not strong or ferocious. They drain your will to go on.

Weiss: I'm...sorry for what I said...about giving up.

Yang: Me too. We can't quit until the lamp is safe.

Blake: It's not your fault. It was those...things.

X-49 got up and took a few deep breaths. After doing so, he holstered his pistols. Lulu then jumps on X-49 and begins licking his metal face, bringing a smile to his face.

X-49: Lulu...sweet thing.

Maria: I should have known. The signs were all there, but I'd never seen an entire settlement withered away like that. I suppose my mind just isn't what it used to be.

Ruby: Miss Calavera? How do you know so much about the Grimm? And in the tunnels, you knew exactly what to say to make me... to make my eyes do that. How?

Qrow: Because like you, she has Silver Eyes.

In that moment, Maria's Silver Eyes became known. In that moment, Team RWBY found the resolve to keep going. They gathered up and continued their journey to Atlas.