Chapter Twenty Three - Dance Dance Infiltration

On the day of the Dance, X-49 got on his finest suit. He takes his trumpet and Lulu to the ballroom where the Dance was being held. As he entered the ballroom, X-49 was greeted by Yang.

Yang: Hey, X-9! Welcome to the Dance!

X-49 tips his hat as he walks into the ballroom. As X-49 enters the ballroom, he looks around to see the entire room packed with people having fun. He sees Blake attending the Dance who was seen talking to Sun. Evert student was in attendance. He glances to see Ruby talking with Ozpin.

Ozpin: Not enjoying yourself, Miss Rose?

Ruby: Oh, no, everything's fine! I'm just not much of a fancy pantsy... dancey girl.

Ozpin: Well, you can't spend your whole life on the battlefield, even if you may want to.

Ruby: Yeah, that lesson's been floating around a lot lately.

Ozpin: If you think about it, fighting and dancing aren't so different. Two partners interlocked, although one wrong move on the ballroom merely leads to a swollen foot.

Ruby: Or a twisted ankle.

Ozpin: It's not every day that friends are able to come together like this. Time has a way of testing our bonds, but it's nights like these that can help keep them stronger than ever. Nights like these are ones we'll never forget.

Ruby smiles at Ozpin's words of wisdom as she walks away to enjoy the dance. She bumps into X-49.

Ruby: Oh! Sorry, X-9!

X-49: Don't worry about it, Kiddo. Looks like you and your team put on quite a shindig.

Ruby: Yeah. We did, didn't we?

X-49: You all deserve this. Have fun.

Ruby followed her adopted big brother's advice and enjoyed the dance as much as she could. As the dance continued, Emerald and Mercury entered the ballroom while Cinder was no where to be seen. During all this, Ruby and Yang looked over the dance. They glanced over to see a dance routine from Team JNPR. They were both puzzled to see Jaune wearing a dress. At this point, X-49 decided to liven the dance even more. He walked up to the stage where the band was playing. The band continues playing while X-49 prepares his trumpet.

X-49: (Let's liven this dance up a bit.)

X-49 then begins playing a swinging tune to which the band plays along with. Everyone began dancing to the rhythm of the music. At the climax of the song, X-49 plays a loud and swinging note which echoes across the ballroom. Everyone was entranced by the music X-49 was playing. Everyone got a partner and started swinging. The pulsing and lively Jazz number livened the ballroom like a Christmas tree as everyone in the ballroom danced like there was no tomorrow. When the song was over, the entire room erupted into a thunderous applause. As all of this happened, Emerald spoke with Cinder via communicators.

Emerald: It appears all the dancers have partners.

Cinder(Communicator): How long do I have?

Mercury: You should probably be home by midnight, to be safe.

Meanwhile outside the Vale CCT Tower, a disguised Cinder stealthily enters the building. Back at the ballroom, Ruby decided to talk a walk outside. As Ruby walked outside, to see an unconscious guard. Without hesitation, Ruby enters the CCT Tower. At the same time back in the ballroom, X-49 decides to take Lulu out on a walk. As he walks Lulu, he sees Ruby heading towards the Tower.

X-49: What are you up too, Kiddo?

Following Ruby's lead, X-49 follows Ruby. Inside the tower, Cinder makes her way to the console controls to the tower. As she uploads a program into the console, she is contacted by Emerald and Mercury. 

Emerald(Communicator): A party guest is leaving.

Cinder: Which one?

Emerald(Communicator): Ironwood.

Mercury(Communicator): I guess the general's had enough fun for one night. Should we intervene?

As Mercury said that, the upload was finished. 

Cinder: No. We're done here..

With that, Cinder leaves the Tower. As Cinder does so, she begins making her exit, but is suddenly caught by Ruby. 

Ruby: Excuse me? You know, it's not a masquerade party, so why don't you take off that...

Cinder began attacking Ruby by using Dust to form glass crystals and blasts them at Ruby. A brawl broke out between Cinder and Ruby. During the fighting, Cinder gains the upper on Ruby. However, X-49 intervenes by firing his gun at Cinder. 

X-49: I thought this was supposed to be a dance!

As X-49 fires his pistols at Cinder, she dodges and forms a bow. Cinder fires three arrows that explode on impact with the floor, Ruby gets pushed back and stumbles on her heels, but manages to hold her ground. One of the arrows hits X-49 in the face and consumes him in an powerful explosion. Seizing the opportunity, Cinder runs off. As Ruby regains her footing, she checks on X-49  

Ruby: X-9!

As the smoke cleared, X-49 appeared unharmed by the explosion caused by Cinder's arrows with the exception of his suit being scorched. After that, Ironwood arrives at the scene. Meanwhile, Cinder abandons her disguise and arrives back at the ballroom. As Cinder approaches Emerald and Mercury, she speaks with them.

Mercury: And how's your night been?

Cinder: Mmm... a little more exciting than expected.

Mercury: Should we be worried?

Cinder: Hardly... They'll be scratching their heads long after we finished what we came here for.

Mercury: So then what now?

Cinder: Enjoy the rest of the night. After all, it is a party.

With that, Cinder and her allies completed the first stage of their plans for their master. The infiltration was a success.