Chapter Twenty Four - Strange Bedfellows

After the incident at the CCT Tower, X-49 and Ruby were called by Ozpin and Ironwood to answer questions about what had happened. After an unnecessarily long elevator ride, X-49 and Ruby arrived.

Ruby: Sorry it took so long. Someone accidentally hit all the buttons on the elevator on the way up here. It wasn't me.

Ozpin: Thank you for coming, Ruby. X-49. How are you both feeling?

X-49: Besides a few burns, I'll be fine. Nothing a paint job can't fix.

Ruby: Okay, I guess. I'd feel better if my bad-guy-catching record wasn't O-for-three.

Everyone stares silently in confusion. Even X-49 raises a mechanical eyebrow at Ruby's statement. 

Ruby: Okay, so that's the tone we're going for, got it.

Ironwood: Ruby, I feel it's appropriate to let you know that I think what you did last night is exactly what being a Huntress is all about. You recognized a threat. You took action. And you did the very best you could.

Ruby: Thank you, sir.

Ironwood: And as for you, X-49, your skills continue to impress. Whoever your maker is did an excellent job designing you. 

X-49: I'm just a big brother looking out for his little sister. 

Ozpin: Now, the general here has already informed us of the events that... transpired last night, but now that you've rested, we were wondering if you had anything to add.

Glynda: Was anyone else with her? Did she look familiar to you at all?

As X-49 and Ruby were asked that question, both had difficulty answering the question. X-49 had a suspicion that the girl might've been someone they've met before. 

Ruby: I... I don't know. She was wearing a mask, and she never said anything to me. But I know she fought with glass. I don't think that was her Semblance, though. Her clothing lit up whenever she attacked.

Glynda: Save for the glass, that sounds like the woman I fought the night we met Ruby and X-49.

Ironwood: Embedding Dust into clothing is an age-old technique. It could have been anyone.

Ruby: Wait. You think this girl is connected to Torchwick and the White Fang?

Ozpin: It's possible. But we still lack the required evidence to link the two together.

Ruby: Actually, I... I think I remember her saying something about a hideout, or something, in the southeast. Just outside the Kingdom.

As Ruby says this. X-49 glances over to Ruby with a confused look.

Ozpin: Interesting.

Glynda: I thought you said the intruder never—

Ozpin: Thank you for your cooperation, Ruby. Why don't you go and spend some time with your team? You have a big day ahead of you.

Ruby: Any time.

Ozpin: And Miss Rose, please try and be...discreet about this matter.