Chapter Thirty Seven - A Thief's End

As X-49 began chasing after the airship, he looked up to see the Wyvern flying the skies of Vale. Realizing that this could potentially endanger Ruby, X-49 picked up the pace. Meanwhile on top of the airship, Ruby battles against Neopolitan. The battle commences as Ruby performs a low swing, with Neo somersaulting over it, and ducking the next swing, before performing another backflip to dodge the third. Ruby then twirls Crescent Rose before attempting another low sweep, only for Neo to back-flip away from her consecutive twirls. Once Ruby finishes spinning her weapon, she lodges Crescent Rose on the hull and fires a shot, only for Neo to shatter in an illusion, revealing Roman as he fires a shot back with Melodic Cudgel, sending Ruby flying several feet, before she lodges Crescent Rose to safely grip herself from the surrounding gales, while Roman walks up to her.

Roman: Little Red, little Red, you are just determined to be the hero of Vale, aren't you?

Ruby: What are you doing!? Without these ships, the Grimm will destroy everything!

Roman: That's the plan!

As Roman and Neo prepare to fight Ruby, X-49 was seen on a nearby rooftop. X-49 gets a running start and jumps onto the airship. 

Ruby: X-9! 

Roman: If I'm being honest, I was hoping to see you again, my well dressed friend mechanical. I hope you've made peace with yourself.

X-49: No more games, Torchwick. 

Ruby then swats aside Melodic Cudgel just as he attempts to fire it at her, causing him to move a few feet off-balance, before Neo returns and leaps over her, kicking Ruby's left cheek, and using the momentum to flip her over and send Ruby tumbling on her back. Neo then follows up with a roundhouse to the face, and a rear horse kick to nearly send her careening off the hull of the airship. Before Neo could press forward, X-49 fires both his pistols at Neo. Neo was able to dodge the bullets.

X-49: Not bad. 

As X-49 battles Neo, Ruby confronts Roman.

Ruby: Why!? What do you get out of it!?

Roman: You're asking the wrong questions, Red! It's not what I have to gain, it's that I can't afford to lose!

As Ruby charges, Neo vaults over Roman for a powerful kick. She then leaps up, grabs Crescent Rose, and slides under, flipping Ruby once more with the hook of her parasol. As Ruby spins midair, the pint-sized powerhouse finishes with a roundhouse to the abdomen, as Roman slams the barrel of Melodic Cudgel to the ground and fires, causing the cane to ricochet and hit Ruby, before catching it and firing the weapon once more over his shoulder. The blast is enough to send Ruby holding on for dear life, with the embedded blade of Crescent Rose the only thing preventing her from falling.

Roman: I may be a gambling man, but even I know that there are some bets you just don't take.

As Neo was about to attack Ruby, X-49 steps in and disarms Neo. He then lands a punch to Neo's stomach, causing her to lose her balance and fall off the ship. 

Roman: NEO!

Immediately after that, Roman fires a shot from Melodic Cudgel point blank in X-49's chest, knocking him closer to the edge of the airship. 

Ruby: X-9!

Roman: You got spirit, Red. But this is the real world! The real world is cold! The real world doesn't care about spirit! You wanna be a hero!? Then play the part and die like every other Huntsman in history! As for me, I'll do what I do best: lie, steal, cheat, and SURVIVE!

As Roman was about to kill Ruby, X-49 tackles Roman. 

X-49: Leave my sister alone!

A brawl broke out between X-49 and Roman. Roman attempts to grab one of X-49's pistols, but the Combat Droid quickly parries Roman's attacks. Roman breaks free from the Combat Droid's grip and begins smacking him with Melodic Cudgel. 

Roman: It's a shame that it had to come to this, my mechanical friend. I enjoyed your music. But as I said to Little Red before, I may be a gambling man, but even I know that there are some bets you just don't take.

Before Roman could land the killing blow, Ruby steps in. 

Ruby: I don't care what you say! We will stop them and I will stop you! BET ON THAT!! 

As Ruby charges at top speed with the use of her Semblance, Roman grips Melodic Cudgel with both hands, the left hand holding the shaft, as he quickly catches the projectile with the hook end and hurls it at Ruby, knocking her away, before smacking her with the business end of the cane, ramming the weapon in her stomach, and firing another shot, sending her on her back once more.

Roman: You got spirit, Red. But this is the real world!

Roman then whacks Ruby with the butt of his cane, sending her back a few feet.

Roman: The real world is cold!

Roman lands another coshing, this time on Ruby's legs.

Roman: The real world doesn't care about spirit! 

Ruby then kicks him in the knee, causing him to lose balance as he prepares a downward strike.

Roman: You wanna be a hero!? Then play the part and die like every other Huntsman in history! As for me, I'll do what I do best: lie, steal, cheat, and SURVIVE!

 Without warning, X-49 tackles Roman off the airship. As he and Roman plummet to the ground, Roman kicks X-49 away, only for an Alpha Griffon suddenly appears from the sky and swallows Roman whole. As X-49 crashes a few blocks away from Beacon, he looks to see the airship Ruby was on making it's way to Beacon. Without hesitation, X-49 follows the airship. Though Roman Torchwick was dead, the Battle Of Beacon was far from over.