Chapter Eight - The First Step

On the day of initiation, all first years were called to Beacon cliff. As the students look down from the cliffs, a sense of nervousness fell on the entire class. Ruby glanced over to X-49 who offered a comforting smile.

Ozpin: For years you have trained to be warriors. And today, your abilities will be evaluated in the Emerald Forest.

Glynda: Now, I'm sure many of you have heard rumors about the assignment of teams. Well, allow me to put an end to your confusion. Each of you will be given teammates...today.

At that point, the students grew more nervous. X-49 could tell that Ruby was especially nervous.

Ozpin: These teammates will be with you for the rest of your time at Beacon. So it is in your best interest to be paired with someone whom you can work well. With that being said, the first person you make eye contact with after landing will be your partner for the next four years.

At that point, Ruby was in a state of shock. The revelation as to how a team would be assembled shattered Ruby's plans to get Yang as both her partner and teammate.

Ruby: What?!

At this point, X-49 began to recall many memories of his time as a member of the Rose-Xiao Long Family. He smiled upon Ruby and Yang as they prepared for initiation. 

X-49: (You both got this.)

Ozpin: After you've partnered up, make your way to the northern end of the forest. You will meet opposition along the way. Do not hesitate to destroy everything in your path, or you will die.

Upon hearing this, X-49 became concerned for his adoptive sisters, but still maintained his faith on them.

Ozpin: You will be monitored and graded for the duration of your initiation. But our instructors will not intervene. You will find an abandoned temple at the end of the path containing several relics. Each pair must choose one, and return it to the top of the cliff. We will regard that item, as well as your standing, and grade you appropriately. Are there any questions?

Jaune was raising his hand. As he was about to ask a question, Ozpin continued.

Ozpin: Good! Now take your positions.

As Ozpin said this, the first year students were launched into the air by the platforms they were standing on. X-49 watched with confusion and concern.

X-49: Was that necessary?

Ozpin: There is a method to the madness, my mechanical friend. You need not worry about Miss Rose and Miss Xiao Long.

X-49: I'm sure you know what you're doing, but I....

Before X-49 could finish his sentence, he glanced over to see a silver rose pendent on the ground where Ruby was. He walks over to it and picks it up.

Ozpin: Is something the matter?

X-49: Yeah. This is Ruby's lucky pendent. She'd never leave this behind.

Ozpin: It must've fallen off Miss Rose when she was launched.

As X-49 looks upon the pendent, he recalled the day Summer Rose gifted Ruby the pendent. It was the day before she disappeared. 

Summer: May this pendent grant you luck wherever you go. 

Ruby(Past): It's so beautiful! Thank you, Mommy! I'll wear it everyday! Even when I become a huntress!

As X-49 recalled that memory, he knew how much Ruby cherished that pendent. It was among the most important things in the world to Ruby. It even held the same significance as her beloved Crescent Rose. 

X-49: Where exactly did you send them? 

Ozpin: In the Emerald Forest. Why do you ask? 

X-49: I'm going there to give Ruby her pendent back. 

Upon hearing this, Glynda was quick to voice her opinion on this. 

Glynda: I'm sure it can wait. Miss Rose is currently engaged in her initiation trial.

X-49: I know, but I have to give Ruby her pendent back. This little thing means the absolute world to her. If she finds out that she lost this, she's gonna be devastated and that'll impact her performance. I'll be damned if I let that happen. 

As X-49 made his case, Ozpin took a moment to think on the situation. While this was in the middle of initiation, Ozpin couldn't help but smile at X-49's desire to help his adopted sister. He also saw an opportunity to see X-49 in action. 

Ozpin: Under normal circumstances, we wouldn't allow someone other than the students to enter the Emerald Forest during Initiation, but I will allow this. But I must warn you, the Emerald Forest is crawling with Grimm. 

X-49: I might be an old bucket of bolts, but I think I can handle what the Emerald Forest has to offer. 

Ozpin: Nevertheless, be careful. I can see that Miss Rose and Miss Xiao Long treasure you very much. 

X-49 nods as he stands on one of the platforms. The platform then launches X-49 into the Emerald Forest. As Ozpin and Glynda make their way to the observation platform, Glynda speaks with Ozpin. 

Glynda: Why did you allow him to go into the Emerald Forest? 

Ozpin: Because I want to see just what our mechanical friend can do. 

Glynda: But I've told you what I saw. 

Ozpin: That is correct, but sometimes, it is best to see something for yourself. 

With that, Ozpin would watch not only the progress of the students during initiation, but also watch X-49 navigate through the many dangers of the Emerald Forest.