Chapter Forty Two - A Personal Mission

Outside the Xiao Long-Rose Family Home, Yang spray paints her robotic arm and half of Ember Celica bright yellow. After doing so, she walks to the toolshed and removes the tarp covering her motorcycle named Bumblebee. As she readied Bumblebee, Taiyang approached her.

Taiyang: I don't remember saying that you were ready.

Yang: Oh yeah? You're gonna try and stop me?

Taiyang: No. I think I'm still too sore after our last fight. I just wanted a better goodbye than a letter. And, I also have a question for you. Where are you going?

Yang: What do you mean?

Taiyang: Well, despite asking him numerous times not to, I know that Qrow told you where your mother's been at these days. I know how much you wanna see her. I've stopped you in the past, but I won't anymore. And we both read the note. We know your sister's headed to Mistral. So, where are you going?

As Taiyang asked his daughter that question, Yang was silent. It was clear to him where his daughter was going.

Taiyang: I thought as much. I hope you know what you're getting yourself into.

Yang: I have to, Dad. I have to find out why she left.

Taiyang: I'd be lying if I said I wasn't worried. But I understand that you want answers. But I wish you didn't go alone.

At that point, X-49 intervened. 

X-49: She won't be going alone, Tai. She'll have her big brother watching her back. 

Yang: This is personal.

X-49: Before Ruby left, she made me promise to watch over you. Now what kind of big brother would I be if I break a promise like that? 

As X-49 said this, he could see that Yang was hesitant about letting X-49 come with her. He knew full well of how much this mission meant to her. He offered a comforting smile.

X-49: I know you want to do this all by yourself. I can't say I blame you with something like this. But you can't do everything yourself. It's always nice to have someone watching your back. Especially if it's family. I failed you at Beacon. Now I'm gonna make it right. 

Yang: X-9....you don't owe me anything.

X-49: Say that all you want, Firecracker. It won't change how I feel. What happened to you shouldn't have happened. 

Yang took a moment to think on this. While she wanted to find her mother alone, she also knew that X-49 could be a big help to her. She knew of how skilled he was in battle as well as his stubbornness to help her. Yang also knew that finding her mother wouldn't be easy. 

Yang: Alright, X-9. 

X-49 smiled as he placed his hand on her shoulders. 

X-49: Thanks, Firecracker. I got your back. 

Taiyang: X-9,  I just wanted to say thank you for all that you've done. Not just with Yang, but with Ruby. You took care of my little girls when I couldn't. I can't thank you enough.

X-49: You don't have to thank me, Tai. It's what big brothers are for. Your kind words are much appreciated.

Taiyang: Don't mention it. You helped my daughter get back on her feet.

X-49: We helped Yang get back on her feet. You did as much work as I did. You give yourself too little credit. You of all people were there for both your daughters when they needed you the most. 

Yaiyang smiled at X-49's words. As he glances over to Yang, a sense of pride began to swell within Taiyang.

X-49: The circumstances that brought us together may not be the most conventional, but I promise I'll protect your family with everything I have. 

Taiyang: Just like the day Ruby and Yang found you. I have no doubt you will. I'm sure Yang will watch your back as closely as you watch hers.

Yang: Can we get a move on? We're losing light. X-9. How about you ride with me? I hope you like motorcycles.

X-49: I don't think that's a good idea. I don't think Bumblebee would be able to hold my weight.

Yang: So you're just gonna run?

X-49: No. I got something. 

X-49 then walks over to a draped vehicle. He pulls the drapes revealing a sleek black car. It didn't take long for Yang to recognize it. 

Yang: That's....that's the car Ruby and I found you in!

X-49: That's right. Tai and I have been working on restoring this car for awhile now. I think it's safe to say that we did a pretty good job, Tai. 

Taiyang: Try it out. 

X-49 gets inside the car and starts it up. The engines roar as the car starts up. X-49 then revs the engine on the car. A smile soon falls on X-49's face. 

X-49: She's a beauty, Tai. 

Taiyang: You know what something, Tai? I think this might be my masterpiece. 

X-49 chuckles as he revved up the engines. As he does so, he glances over to Yang.

X-49: Ready, Firecracker?

Yang: Always, X-9!

With that, X-49 joined Yang on her mission to find her mother. X-49 and Yang then drove their vehicles away from the Xiao Long-Rose Family Home. 

Taiyang: Stay safe, my little Sun Dragon.

Taiyang watched with both sadness and pride as his daughter set out on her personal mission. Though Taiyang would always be concerned for his daughter's safety, Taiyang was confident that X-49 would protect her every step of the way. Meanwhile in his car, X-49 could hear barking inside. He glances to his rearview mirror to see Lulu in the backseat. He couldn't help but smile at this.

X-49: Lulu....sweet thing....

In that moment, Lulu had joined X-49 in his mission to help Yang find her mother.