Chapter Forty Five - Known By It's Song

At the bandit camp, Weiss summons an Arma Gigas and makes it grow, destroying the cage in the process. She quickly makes her way towards Yang, with the now giant Arma Gigas following close behind.

Yang: What is that?

Weiss: Don't worry about it. What are you doing here?

Yang: Well, that's my mom and she can take us to Ruby.

Raven: Ugh.

Weiss: Your mom kidnapped me?!

Yang: You kidnapped Weiss?!

X-49: Looks like we're in a tight spot. 

As the bandits kept their weapons trained on the trio, Lulu started barking at the bandits.

Shay: Can someone shut that fucking mutt up?!

X-49: You touch Lulu and you'll regret it. 

Raven: If you people don't keep it together this place will be crawling with Grimm. You've made your point, Droid. Now quiet your mutt. 

With that, X-49 holstered his pistols and petted Lulu to quiet her. 

Raven: Vernal, give the girl her weapon back.

Vernal then tosses Myrtenaster to Weiss.

Raven: All of you. In my tent, now.

Yang: Why?

Raven: If you're really going after your sister, then you need to know the truth.

As Raven enters her tent, Weiss took the opportunity to strongly hug Yang. Walter offers a comforting smile to the pair.

Weiss: I missed you so much.

Yang: I've missed you, too.

X-49: Gotta love these reunions. 

Yang puts her hand on the back of Weiss' head and hugs back as her summon disappears. The reunion was cut short as they met Raven in her tent.

Yang: So, what's the "truth"?

Raven: You know, it's better when it's hot.

Weiss: You know, you're really obnoxious.

Raven: The truth is that "truth" is hard to come by. A story of victory for one person is a story of defeat for someone else. By now, your uncle has surely told Ruby and her friends plenty of stories.

Yang: Well, he's never given me a reason to doubt him before.

Raven: That doesn't mean those reasons don't exist. You know, you and your teammates might as well be the poster children for the Huntsman Academies. Your motives vary, but you all enrolled to try and make the world a better place. It's adorable.

At that point, X-49 speaks up. 

X-49: As if you're one to talk.

Raven: I honestly couldn't care less. Not all of them think like that. Some people are just in it for the money and the fame, but there's even more that are just looking to grow stronger. Your Uncle Qrow and I didn't attend Beacon to become Huntsmen, we did it to learn how to kill Huntsmen.

At that point, the room fell silent. Raven simply chuckles. She then proceeds to tell the group that she and Qrow were sent to Beacon to learn how to properly kill Huntsmen. But what followed was a terrible secret.

Raven: The Creatures of Grimm... have a master named Salem. She can't be stopped, she can't be reasoned with, and she will not rest until Humanity crumbles at her feet.

As Yang and Weiss were shocked by this, X-49 took note of Raven's words. It was clear to the Combat Droid that there was something much bigger in play. 

X-49: So let me get this straight. You knew all about this and instead of doing anything about it, you ran off and hide. While Ozpin, Qrow and the others were fighting this threat, you were out here raiding, pillaging and murdering as you please. 

Raven: You don't know what you're talking about, Droid. I don't expect you to understand. 

At that point, Yang became angry. Despite these revelations, it still didn't give Yang the answer she came here for.

Yang: Why?! Why did you leave me?! Why did you leave our family?!

Raven: I have my reasons, Yang. I'm giving you a choice. Stay here, with me, and I'll answer all your questions and more. We can have a fresh start. Or...you can go back to Qrow and join Ozpin's impossible war against Salem, and meet the same fate as so many others. But can you really go back to trusting someone that's kept so much from you?

Yang: All I care about is making sure my sister is safe.

Raven: Yang. If you side with your uncle, I may not be as kind the next time we meet...

Yang: You weren't kind this time either.

Without hesitation, Raven opened a portal using her Semblance. The portal led to where Ruby and the others were. Yang was the first to walk through the portal. As the others walked through, Raven sighed.

Raven: I know...

X-49 was the last to walk through the portal by driving his car. Before he drives through, he turns to Raven and speaks to her. 

X-49: You did wrong by that girl, Raven. I don't know the entire story about Salem. But that doesn't change the fact that you abandoned Yang. I'm just glad Summer was able to be the mother she needed. Do you have any idea how long she's been searching for you?

Raven: More than you know, Droid. 

X-49: Yang turned out fine despite what you did. She doesn't need you, Raven. She's got people that love her. 

Raven: The only reason I don't scrap you right now is because of my daughter. You best remember that before lecturing me. 

X-49: I won't waste anymore of our times then. 

With that, X-49 starts up the car and drives through the portal. As the portal closes, Raven is left to ponder on her own actions. For now, a reunion between friends and family long separated was on the horizon.