• t h i r t y f i v e •

"Amongst the darkness, she found solace and in the light, she found a foe. Until she met him, and he became her torch"

 Until she met him, and he became her torch"

B l a z e

"My parents- they died because of me"

As soon as the words left my mouth, the colour drained from Rafael's face and his lips fell from their casual smile. The doubt and disbelief was inscribed in every pore.

"Blaze, I really don't think that must have happened." Even though his voice was steady, the tiny flicker of uncertainty was evident.

"I just need you to listen, please." He nodded and shifted closer upon hearing my words, our interlaced fingers now in his lap, and my head against the top of his shoulder. The only type of comfort I could accept was his, at least for the moment.

It felt highly violating that I was narrating the reason for my parents death right where their bodies lay, but with them I wanted to bury a part of that guilt today, let it decompose underground instead of in my heavy soul. The desecration of my actions, however, still poked inside me.

It took another few minutes for me to speak again. The warmth of Rafael's skin renewed my strength and ignited my inner fears, burning them to ash.

"At nine, I became an orphan."

His fingers squeezed mine tighter, the stiffness in his posture indicating that he was refraining from commenting.

"When I was younger, I used to get really bad nightmares all the time. Almost every day. We never found out why, my parents left before we could really solve that mystery." Laughter left my lips in a hateful echo that resonated through the hollowness punctuating my chest.

"They never left me alone at night. I didn't go on any overnight school trips, or sleepovers except at Kiara's house. Well, she was my only friend so that was fair enough."

"The point is, they were always there for me and then, suddenly they weren't."

"Blaze, you don't have to do this." His voice cut through my thoughts, and I looked to see his eyes trying to convey resistance, but I avoided them before he convinced me to cower away.

"No, I can't keep it inside anymore."

"That day was like every day except that it had been snowing really badly. They were supposed to go on a date that night too." I clamped my eyes shut to ward off the vivid memories still ingrained there.

Rafael's touch reminded me that I was still in the cemetery, and not on the other side of the phone call that was my last with them.