• t w e n t y t w o •

"How are you supposed to let go of your dark thoughts when they have sprouted roots and grown in your mind like weeds, sucking the light out of everything?"

B l a z e

After Raf had said those words, I left the car and walked home with his words on a loop in my mind. I desperately wanted to stop him from the addiction that he was sure he was approaching.

It was my concern for him that led my mind to go on overdrive. I wouldn't wedge myself into his problems, but if I had a way to help him, I wouldn't think twice about it.

When I got home, no one was there. I checked my phone to see that Andrea had texted me, letting me know that she had to run some errands. I couldn't see Aiden anywhere so I went to the kitchen to grab a snack before dinner.

Just as luck would have it, he was seated near the island on his phone. His eyes shot up towards mine and my breath hitched. I steeled myself, pushing down on the instinctive fear.

I couldn't run all the time, and now was the best time to start standing up to him. I had a minimal physical advantage over him. He was healing pretty good, but his torso was still pretty beaten up. His scars hadn't healed as fast as Rafael and I smirked at that thought.

"Where the fuck have you been?" He snarled at me, and I rolled my eyes. His temper flared and he gripped the counter till his knuckles turned white. "Nowhere that you should know of". My back was to him as I distractedly searched for something in the fridge.

"You seriously think I won't hesitate to show you your place?" his sinister laugh filled the kitchen. I felt my pulse quicken, but I stayed put. "I'd like to see you try" I said in the same nonchalant tone that managed to piss him off further.

I heard the sound of his footsteps behind me and I instantly whipped around to see him hobbling towards me. I suppressed a laugh at the sight. When he came closer, I walked around the counter casually yet quickly, which infuriated him further.

"Don't even try. I'll kick you right where it hurts" I sneered at him, and my bursting confidence left me feeling warm after. He halted and looked at me with so much malice that he could wither a flower just by his eyes. However, somehow it didn't manage to faze me.

"I am done, you won't get to lay a finger on me again" I angrily glared at him as I walked out of the kitchen, grabbing an apple from the basket. "Sweetheart, you should know better than that" his sardonic taunt made me freeze, but I kept walking. It was an empty threat. Right?

As I raced up the stairs and into my bedroom, I felt tears pricking my eyes. Sure, I had been somewhat strong, but that didn't erase the past year of horrible, torturous memories.

I locked the door and slumped against it, as I let the tears flow freely. I wrapped my arms around my knees as I felt the salty tears stream down my face, and soak the front of my shirt.