• f o r t y e i g h t •

"I burnt a thousand years for someone who wouldn't flicker for a second of their existence"

R a f a e l

La familia lo es todo.

Family is everything.

It was something that my nana used to whisper to us every night before she put us to bed, her wrinkled fingers brushing my hair still flickered in my head. I was young at the time of her death, not many memories surfacing but this was the one thing I had always remembered.

However, the concept of family had been washed from my brain the minute my mother started ingraining into my brain that Cai was dead because of me.

Instead of resistance, I found acceptance.

The world tilted on its axis the day Cairo died, throwing our entire family off course. We were never perfect but whatever remnants of familial love we had dissolved with her passing.

Mum gave into the medications that were supposed to help her with the injuries from the accident and Dad sunk further into his business rabbit hole. They learnt to dismiss Bree and I, as if we were simply obstacles.

Nana was wrong, family wasn't everything.

So, right now when I saw my father standing at the poolside looking down at me with disapproval, I didn't feel a morsel of love nor regret.

All I felt was anger.

Consuming rage for the fact that he hadn't seen us in eight months and hadn't properly stayed with Bree and I for almost two years.

Burning wrath because he only seemed to care when it was of his use, never considering the effects it had on us.

Thunderous fury because despite sharing his DNA, he was nothing but a stranger to me.

"Get dressed and meet me in the living room," were the only words he uttered, not offering anything more, even though this was his first visit in the past eight months.

"No."

The single word was enough to make him stop in his tracks. I was well versed with the power he radiated. After all, he had built his tech company from the ground up. However, that influence held no power over a son he had abandoned.

Blaze's fingers traced circles on my naked back, an anchor against the impending storm. Her presence was the only thing that prevented me from lashing out.

Or relapsing.

"It wasn't a question." He didn't spare me another glance before charging away, his tailored navy blue suit flexing over his back with each step. 

My throat constricted as I breathed harshly, pain searing through my lungs from his brash words. Disappointment sunk deep as I realised he hadn't changed one bit, the same callous words and indifferent tone.