• t w e n t y f i v e •

"I'm consumed by these tidal waves of torture, and the only way out is a pill that can hopefully numb me before I drown"

R a f a e l

Choosing to distance myself from others was one of my biggest regrets, yet somehow it allowed me to do reckless and stupid things without feeling an ounce of regret. The danger of Bree finding out about my drugs always loomed upon me, but it had gotten to a point where I used the pills as a distraction from reality and that was all that mattered.

However I could feel things shifting between Blaze and I, and as much as I hated to admit it, I didn't want whatever it was to stop.

I didn't want her finding out about the horrible things that had happened in my life, because that posed a threat of her realising she could associate with someone much better than me. Contrary to the common saying, my past did define me because it was a dark shadow that eclipsed my present and prevented the light from seeping through.

Okay, cut it out Shakespeare.

I was probably losing my marbles already, considering how haywire my thoughts were.

It hadn't even been ten minutes since my lapse in vulnerability with Blaze, and I could barely focus on the road ahead. Wow, my brain was seriously fucked up in more ways than one. I was playing her words on my mind in a loop. You shouldn't hide all of it, either.

Seeing her break down like the way she did today made my blood boil, but it also made me unsettled to the stage where I would probably do anything to stop her from falling back into whatever caused her to spiral like that. I couldn't see her so hurt again. Damn, I seriously needed help. Yeah, sure. Like you didn't before.

"How are things between you and Blaze?" Bree's voice sliced through my thoughts and I glanced at her as she genuinely looked curious. "Great. Why? Did she say something?" I asked warily.

She smiled at me and I scrunched my eyebrows in confusion, "You like her, don't you?".

I scoffed at her ridiculous question. Sure, I cared for her, but that didn't necessarily mean it was something more.

"No. What makes you think that?" I bit my lip anxiously as she continued fondly smiling, as if she was some granny recalling her better days.

"Hey, spill it" I muttered and she cocked her head to the side, ignoring the quip in my tone.

"You're just genuine around her. You're not reserved, I can just tell" she shrugged and I ground my teeth together in frustration. "It's not something you should be scared about" she softly added, and that did nothing to calm my muddled thoughts.