• f i f t e e n •

"Everyday for me is a battle to survive. Fighting both my internal and external demons for a chance to live. I wonder if someday I might lose the fight"

 I wonder if someday I might lose the fight"

B l a z e

The rest of the car drive was enveloped in an uncomfortable silence. I didn't know what to say, so I didn't bother. After some time, Rafael turned up the music and Chase Atlantic blared through the speakers.

He bopped his head along the beat and it was quite funny to see him act like a carefree teenager for once. Even when he was joking, there was always an underlying current of emotion that he tried so hard to hide. Takes one to know one.

When he noticed me staring, he turned towards me and said "Like what you see?". His cocky grin was plastered on his face. I scoffed "You wish" but the butterflies inside my stomach were fluttering around like a damn tornado.

He pulled up to a massive mansion. It was double the size of Aiden's and that was saying a lot. I knew he was well-off but this was still a surprise. I had no money to my name yet and I couldn't afford a car. I wouldn't get my parent's money until I was of age and the money I got right now was from Aiden's parents.

Aunt Mary was always a frugal woman and I never expected anything from her. I always tried to refuse the Marshall's money but they always treated me like their daughter. Now that they lost their biological daughter, I couldn't find the strength in me to refuse. Even our living arrangements were quite questionable but I didn't argue. I never knew how I could ever repay them. I was planning on getting a job soon. It seemed like I was always trapped in a vicious circle that I was desperate to get out off.

Rafael stepped out and opened my side of the door. "Quite the gentleman, but I can get my own door" I jokingly chided him. He just chuckled out loud and helped me walk, putting his arm around my waist. My skin ignited at his touch and the butterflies were on a rampage.

I pushed away the strong emotions and kept a neutral face. I wouldn't be able to focus my mind if he kept on touching me. I took in the manor in front of me, if that was even a suitable word. I was scared to enter the front door, knowing that clumsy me would probably end up breaking the doorknob or tripping on the doormat. Rafael walked up the front steps with me in tow.

He opened the door and the interior was just as magnificent, if not better. My jaw dropped open in awe as I drank in my surroundings. Rafael seemed uninterested considering this was his home, but he looked amused at my reaction. "The house is incredible" I murmured. Rafael just gave me a look and scoffed, "Even the strongest exteriors have their cracks, Princesa". His cryptic words were making the gears and cogs in my brain turn and I just wanted to figure out the mystery that was Rafael Hernandez.