• f i f t y s e v e n •

"I mourn the loss of all that lived and passed, the seasons that burnt away like a melting candle"

R a f a e l

Love.

Uncountable Noun: An intense feeling of deep affection.

The dictionary definition didn't seem to suffice for what I felt when Blaze's hair curled around her neck, the nighttime breeze kissing her face the way I wanted to.

A chemical reaction caused by the rush of neurotransmitters like dopamine, oxytocin, adrenaline and serotonin.

A chemical high wasn't enough to explain the surge of attachment I felt on seeing her flushed cheeks pressed against the car window, eyelashes quivering shut with exhaustion.

Love is not two people coming together; love is two people pouring themselves into each other.

Under the guise of Dickinson's poetry, I excused my musings as a side-effect of love, ignoring the rumble of nerves in my stomach when I dropped Blaze home. The blue in her eyes seemed infinite against the faint gleam of the porch light, her pupils dilating in the moonlight.

A montage of stills from the date flickered in my head as she tugged at my collar, pressing her lips against mine. The euphoria that overwhelmed me was unrivalled to any drug I had tasted, exhilaration thickening my blood.

"Good night Rafael." My gaze instantly dropped to Blaze's full lips, becoming redder by the second. Her fingers lingered near my wrists before she pivoted on her heels and slipped into the house.

"Good night." A smile played on my lips long after she left and I suddenly realised I was still standing on her porch like a lovesick puppy.

A string of incoherent curses left my mouth as I made my way back to the car, my gaze deviating to her window on the first floor.

"Stop acting like a budget Romeo," I bashed myself when the flicker of her bedroom light made me smile.

I was absolutely and thoroughly fucked.

All I wanted to do was spend the night curled by her side and talk- about stars and music and the things that made her happy like the perfectly shaped chip and the right soundtrack for every milestone of our relationship.

Since when did I become a Disney prince?

The steady thrum of the engine beneath the floor mat reminded me that I was still in front of her house like a stalker.

Snapping myself out of Blaze's stupor, I veered onto the road, our playlist still blasting from the speakers. My heartbeat had significantly calmed down from its sprint induced by Blaze's touch and my vision streamlined to focus on the zipping traffic in front of me.