• f i f t y f o u r •

"The scars of a soul bleed golden, run silver with divinity. And perhaps that is the greatest beauty of the broken"

 And perhaps that is the greatest beauty of the broken"

B l a z e

Shadows danced on the billowing drapes as my eyelashes curled with tears, my damp pillow sticking to my face.

Underneath the covers, my stomach dipped with trepidation as my nightmare continued flashing in my vision. Fear dilated my pupils as I remembered how Aiden's invading hands had marked their territory, even in my sleep.

"Blaze?" The snippy voice of my Aunt echoed from the hallway and I clenched my fists around the duvet.

"Why are you not in school?" The annoyance in her tone deepened my headache as she stepped into the room.

"I'm on my period." Even after a shower and attempt at refreshing myself, I felt just as groggy.

"You've been in bed all weekend."

"I don't feel well." It was the truth, I felt drained of all my energy. The past two days had blurred together amidst all my tears and countless missed calls from Rafael and the others. They had even shown up here yesterday for bowling but I had told Aunt Mary to tell them to leave.

"Your boyfriend was here again." Disdain laced her voice and I didn't have it in me to defend Rafael. I was glad I didn't have to see him because I looked like I'd been dragged to hell and back, my physical appearance just a manifestation of how I felt inside.

"Will you talk to me, for heaven's sake?" Aunt Mary snapped and my throat closed in. I just sunk further into my pillow, letting her words drift in the air.

"Dr. Lincoln's receptionist called for a confirmation of your appointment today." The bed dipped as Aunt Mary took a seat.

"I can't go, I'm sick." Nausea rolled in my empty stomach but not from any illness, rather from the memories that had been uprooted after the visit to Dr. Lincoln.

"Are you finally ready to talk about it?" I wanted to laugh in her face and tell her that I had already 'talked' but the only thing I'd been doing was spiralling.

Silence percolated between us, crackling with tension.

"You need to tell me who it was, Blaze."

"No." I should've said it then, forced it down Aiden's throat until he choked on his wrongdoings. I couldn't, I just couldn't.

"Do you not want him to be in jail? What that person did was a crime." Crime was a light word.

"I'm talking to you, look at me, Blaze," she snapped and I flinched, pulling the covers up to my chin. I felt like a trapped child under her rigid gaze.

"I just want to be alone right now." Aunt Mary paid no heed to my request as she stood right in front of me. Her gaze softened as she took in my appearance but I wasn't about to fall for that counterfeit concern.