• f o r t y •

"Polluted by the mists of their downfall, they entangled in their universal lies. Gliding through vivid galaxies, they burnt like dying stars"

 Gliding through vivid galaxies, they burnt like dying stars"

B l a z e

Summer's face was blotched with red spots, her nose a violent shade of crimson. However, her vulnerability was overshadowed by the sneer on her face directed solely at me.

"What the fuck are you looking at?" She moved to close the door but I slammed my foot in between. Even if she had helped Aiden cheat, I couldn't ignore the bruises on her arm.

"Leave me alone," she whispered hoarsely.

"What happened?" I reached my hand out in the gap, but she flinched away and déjà vu hit me like a truck. No, I couldn't let her turn into me.

"Summer, what the fuck happened?" I tried to keep the fear out of my voice as I was unable to tear my gaze away from the purple marks encircling her upper arm. They were like snakes coiling around flesh and I subconsciously ran my fingers across my arm.

As if finally realising what I was staring at, she angled her entire body away from mine.

"Did Aiden do that?" I gritted out and she instantly froze. Her hands shook wildly and her silence served as an answer to my question.

Summer's face crumbled and tears rolled down her face. The sight weakened me, invoking feelings that I had thought had turned stale.

Her cries morphed into sobs as she desperately tried to rub the tears away. When I made another move to step into the stall, she pushed against the door with a surprising amount of strength.

"Summer, what did he do?" My voice trembled, tortured memories attacking my brain. I needed to forget them for now because the girl in front of me looked terrified, despite the hostility on her face.

"Get out of here." Her voice lacked conviction and I gently grabbed her wrist before pulling her out of the stall. This time she didn't move away and allowed me to help her.

As soon as Summer was out, I wrapped my arms around her and hers fell around my stomach. Her tears dampened my hoodie, and I could feel them pricking my own eyes. She was quite a few inches taller than me, but the way she leaned down to put her head on my shoulder splintered a piece of my heart. She was hurting.

"When did this happen?" I was trying my best not to push her, but guilt and anger were roaring through me like a spreading inferno. I had never felt so murderously pained before.

"Third period. We skipped and Aiden got a call from his dad, he was pissed. I was trying to calm him down, and he just grabbed me." Her voice broke and my fingers clenched around her middle.