• f i f t y f i v e •

"Her cheeks glistened with moonlight, craters hollowing out her barren heart. But like every celestial body, her light never failed to warm the souls of others."

❃ B l a z e ❃

B l a z e

Ribbons of lavender and tangerine streamed across the sky, mingling with the ocean of blue. The sun dipped in the horizon, casting an ethereal glow on the pavement as I walked towards Rafael's house.

Work had ended early today because Charlotte and Noah had Bingo Night. An impromptu plan to meet at the Hernandez home had popped up due to Jonah's impeding date with Summer in two days. According to Annikah, Jo had a lot to learn, hence the hangout where we would also meet Serayah, Ann's girlfriend.

My sneakers grazed against the concrete as I hummed to myself, a soft breeze caressing my hair and cooling my heated cheeks. The weather was gradually getting warmer and my dress fluttered against my thigh as the Hernandez house came into view.

A few seconds after ringing the doorbell, Travis opened the door with a beaming grin that painted his face in joy.

"Hi, nugget. I missed you." His bulky arms wrapped around my middle and I patted his back awkwardly with a choked grimace.

"We saw each other in school five hours ago, Trav."

"Five hours too long."

"Where is everyone?" I glanced around the empty living room.

"Ann and Jonah went to get food, Raf and Bree are acting as siblings do." Travis' lips curled in annoyance as he led me to the pool area, holding the door open.

"Where's Serayah?" He simply shrugged his shoulders at my question.

My gaze swerved across the rippling water until it landed on Rafael and Bree arguing a couple of feet away.

"Hey, B. You look pretty," Bree's eyes lit up in acknowledgement as I strolled towards them, her cheeks saturating with warmth.

"Very pretty." The gravel in Rafael's tone made sparks tingle down my spine as his gaze trekked down my bare legs. I narrowed my eyes, clasping my fingers on the hem of my sage green sundress. Ignoring the flutter of nerves in my stomach, I shifted my gaze to Bree.

"Thank you, I felt...nice. Can I borrow some clothes? I want to slip into something comfier." The sunset caught on the right side of Bree's face as she grinned.

"Of course you can, you don't need to ask. You can have my entire wardrobe if you want, though I don't think it would match your vibe," she clicked her tongue in annoyance and I nodded with a mild smile.

"You can have my clothes too, open to interpretation." Rafael's emerald eyes glimmered with mischief as he quirked his head to the side. My cheeks flooded with heat, Bree slapping Rafael's forehead as I ambled towards the door.